Lew I Bought the Cheapest Printer

Smallpatch

Wow! Thank You for the great explanation of your process. It is hard to figure out how they can make a profit selling a printer at that price!

I think the jagged edges of the lines in the drawings are due more to the resolution of the original picture. Lower resolution (kilobytes vs. megabytes) images tend to have that characteristic when enlarged. But, as you said, it's really not a big deal when cutting the pattern.

Again, thanks for helping me understand your process.

Showing off nice pictures through this printer is not good but thats  not what I do mostly.

The black and white stored pictures on the puter are great for patterns. I get lots of things off of Pinterest but some things who ever has fixed it so they won't transfer. I printed these out for patterns a few minutes ago.IMG_0963.thumb.JPG.6ddbf485051b8151b1d71792c2ec14db.JPG

20 hours ago, lew said:

It is hard to figure out how they can make a profit selling a printer at that price!

They don't.  In fact, I suspect the "affordable loss on sale" is a carefully calibrated figure.  Follow the money:  ink.  The danger of course is that at $19 you don't buy ink, you just buy a new printer!

Exactly! that is why I went to the most expensive printer I could afford. I had a room full of cheap printers and different ink cartridges that only fit certain printers. Next one, if there is one will be a laser printer in color, they are coming down in price.

Herb

I really think that is why I posted this thing about a cheap printer....I think you guys seem to be in the thought if its more expensive then by golly its got to be better... 

Yes that 19.00 came with ink cartridges. 

The one I retired was a HP 4640. It used # 60 Hp cartridges..  any time the cartridge ends in XL whether canon or HP it is more expensive  for there is way more ink and one doesn't have to by as often. By the number of copies the regular will turn out about a third less compared to the XL cartridge, it will save money so always buy the XL's....  I did compare the HP4640 inks with the new canon MG 2522 and we have been paying about twice what the canon ink cost... We didn't think ink when we bought the HP4640 we just figured all inks were for the same price category would be the same... Wrong, but it does take a little experience then one should remember things like that...

Can someone tell me why a home that the owner does woodworking as a hobby or a full time job as a wood worker needs a lazer printer or a wireless or or a printer that will copy a page in .02 of a second compared to 10 seconds or hold a whole sleeve of paper? I didn't include shops that have 37 employees cause I don't know any one person wood shops that have that many employees. I am almost certain no one at home has the floor models that take up half a room in space but I almost bet some of you have thought why didn't I get the one that cost 1000 more than the one I bought???? I can brag to my buddies on how stupid I am...

We don't have a land line so if you don't have one and and don't plan on getting a land line why go for the more expensive model that includes the fax ??

I know, go ahead and ask me if I would rather drive a Rolls every day to the grocery store than a chevy and I'll include you with the nuts I know around here! And besides that my wife drives to the store by her self. She says she is confident and competent enough to be on her own and besides that she pumps her own gas, so there..and she knows how to cook.

Okay, I've calmed now so I will tell what is not good about the 19.00 printer!!. It will not make good crisp photos equal to what I have on the computer screen that came from Pinterest or somewhere on the computer...But I don't take photos around trying to drum up business, I would rather for the customer to come to my place and see for themselves in person. I like a person to run their hands across my finish job then see the grin and a smirk at the same time form on the face...Pictures only get them partly in the door then if what you have built is poorly constructed with that ruff sandpaper feel they might be leaving with just that smirk never to return again...

Up at the top of this post is what I run through the printer off of my pictures I save for all kinds of places.. and Gene one time was trying to explain to someone how he does a reverse or a mirror image with tracing paper or clear paper or something and I was thinking to my self that is kinda out dated for when I get a carving off the internet it is usually just one side but Rapid Resizer has a little button to push and it will have the printer shoot out a mirror image of that carving,,,,  no extra charge..

So for guys wanting to start carving with a Dremel this 19.00 is perfect for them or an experienced dude who think he already knows how to carve but don't.....

Edited by Smallpatch

If you never print color (which I do not), an "inexpensive" monochrome laser printer (black and white) is a little cheaper per page to print. Although you pay more for the toner cartridge up front, you get many more printed pages from that single purchase. 

We have a place here in town that will refill most inkjet cartridges a lot cheaper than buying a new one. Going that route, inkjet printing is less expensive. 

I used to print a lot of photographs for Mimi. That is until I discovered I can log on to the local WalMart store and have them print the photo in an hour for as little as 9¢ apiece! My color inkjet printer hasn't been turned on in a year.

13 hours ago, lew said:

If you never print color (which I do not), an "inexpensive" monochrome laser printer (black and white) is a little cheaper per page to print. Although you pay more for the toner cartridge up front, you get many more printed pages from that single purchase. 

About 3 years ago, I had it with ink jets (the ink dried up faster than I used it), bought a $100 (Brother) b/w laser printer.  A cartridge lasts me a couple years, which makes the cost irrelevant.  Once in these 3 years I wanted something with color, went to local print ship, paid like $3 for the color copy.  Theory that I'd not need color turned out correct.  I don't print pics, I send via email.  Albums now on computer, thumbdrive.  I've been through 4 versions of desktop displays for wife, but she never uses them.   Current plan:  keep all the megs of images on various media, give to daughter just before I die.  Solved.

I am very happy with my HP printer and have had a lot of printers over the years and to me the HP's are the best ink jets. They have the most ink in their cartridges too in my opinion. I have tried the aftermarket cartridges and had bad luck with all.  I like the all in ones printers as I scan a lot of documents and e-mail them. don't use the fax,but  do a lot of scanning,copying  and printing. I like the wireless setup too, I can set the printer anywhere ,even in the other room and print off my computer. When the adult kids moved in with me a few years ago, we used one printer for computers in 3 different rooms.

The price of ink is what it is, there is a lot that goes into making those cartridges besides filling them with ink. And forget the off shore recycled ones . Half of them come back empty, some the electronic parts don't work.

The only reason I might like a laser better is the permanency of the ink, not fading or smearing.

I don't use mine to make prints to work off in the shop, only to print out a picture to look at to work off. I never do any enlarged prints to scale like you folks do.

Herb

Edited by Dadio