John Morris

Good Monday Morning Patriot Woodworkers! August 20, 2018

Rate this topic

I made the stand I had made for the radial arm saw into a small bench now that the saw is gone.  Mounted my vintage, made in Cleveland Ohio,  Columbian 10" quick release woodworking vise to it.  It has been needing a home for a few years now.  Going to do some other shop/improvement maintenance this week.

Hmmm...Monday, about says  it all....got woke up by the shop dogs..Saturday morning

1881806225_woundedhand.jpg.ea0b23e2d25e50defd39adc0e7105082.jpg

And this happened....cleaned the tool well out, to start a new project...

985849571_clearedout.jpg.b0f34a809bbb8f9e6ee87a40a7becc09.jpg

Even swept out the dang thing.   Put away about half of these toys...the rest went back into the well....only way to keep track of them pencils.

Got into a fight with some self-appointed saw GURU.....decided to toss the junk saws out...and keep ones that even I can ID, without bothering His Royal Highness

junkers.jpg.d3cb98254c74915023830886808f2e54.jpg

The ones hanging up.    Kept 4 "good" ones, the rest?

558927646_curbsaws.jpg.66d9078642e3e5391acfe40af1d11e48.jpg

Are sitting out on the curb, awaiting trash day. 

Got woke up this morning, seems i had rolled over, and poked my thumb into my good eye....yeah...Monday. 

Wake me up when Tuesday blows in with the wind...

Edited by steven newman

Painting....yuk.  We’re going to install new vinyl siding in a few weeks and I’m painting all the trim before that happens.  The good news is that I don’t have to be real careful trimming.  I really need to be in the shop.  I have 3 jewelry boxes to build and a order for a pair of bookcases and a hutch.  They’ll have to wait.

Busy week this week.  For shop time I need to make a couple picture frames and etch a mirror.  One frame for the mirror, the second one for a large photo that my son had printed up for us.

We have had a little rain this past week so the lawn needs tending to again, that will be this afternoon if the weather cooperates.

Thursday my sister & BIL are visiting.  I hope we can wrap up those things necessary on our mother's estate.  We will, I am sure, enjoy a good meal out at our favorite Mexican restaurant.

Finally finished up the rear brakes replacement marathon on my daughter's T&C van...worse brake design & replacement I've ever encountered. :angry: Decided to replace the rear shocks also while they were easy accessible.

Coming week, normal transport stuff, couple of volleyball matches, and mow if it should ever quit raining. Some readiness tasks in preparation for traveling to Fred's for TPW Summer Fest 2018.

34 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Finally finished up the rear brakes replacement marathon on my daughter's T&C van...worse brake design & replacement I've ever encountered. :angry: Decided to replace the rear shocks also while they were easy accessible.

Coming week, normal transport stuff, couple of volleyball matches, and mow if it should ever quit raining. Some readiness tasks in preparation for traveling to Fred's for TPW Summer Fest 2018.

I replaced the rear brakes on my 06 Town and Country and I fully agree.  It’s a train wreck especially the emergency brake.

48 minutes ago, Ron Dudelston said:

It’s a train wreck especially the emergency brake.

Hers is an '05 so identical; worse design I've ever encountered...I had to cut wiht R/A grinder the old rotors/drum combo; I couldn't get them to come off over the parking brake shoes because I couldn't get the adjusters to move. Then you have to remove the backing plate to replace the shoes/hardware and the backing plate can't be removed w/o removing the axle hub. All of that was corroded/rusted together. I broke my H-F axle puller on the second axle so "rented" one from Auto Zone. The worst part was the axle hubs being stuck in the backing plates. I finally re-installed the bolts from the back side and striking them first with a brass drift and hammer, then finally using the 18 mm socket and hitting it with the hammer.:angry:

Once everything was free & cleaned, it all with back together easy enough with lots of anti-seize. On a positive note, the shocks were easy to replace with the tires off.:P

killed weeds.  many weeds.

moved some water into the house's day tank from the shop cistern (rain water).

paid a bill.  yay.

leftovers for lunch.  yum!

pretty quiet week otherwise.  installed a new gun part.  double yay.  had a good time shooting yesterday with some friends.  35 yards with a pistol is a long, long, long way to hit a target.  we finally did.

wife is working on painting the picture frame i made, trying some colors on leftover scraps i had.  first one:  no good.  try another later.

have a turning i need to work on later, that 90mm projectile i wrote about some time ago.  little lathe is not liking such a big blank.