Latest On the Recipe Boxes

Rate this topic

40 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Very nice. I've yet to try Rob's hinges. I brought bought his kit and CD, though. Were they difficult? 

No not really, I have been doing them for years now and really like them. The biggest problem I had from the start is drilling the hole in the center of the dowel all the way through so it is centered coming out the far side. I have come up with various jigs and now either use the Incra hinge jig. If I had a lathe I could do them chucking them up and drilling with a tail stock drill chuck setup. I really like wooden hinges.

Herb

IMG_5071.JPG

Another way I have done the pins is to use 1" long metal pins, (from 8d nails, brazing rod,etc. any 1/8"dia. rod) and drill the dowel segments 1/2"deep from each end. The pins don't have top touch. this is easy way to center the pins in the dowels. once they are glued up, they can not come apart.

Herb

6 hours ago, Dadio said:

Also will do a separate tutorial on how it is done.

Herb

Thank-you. Looking forward to following that. Yours are really impressive and add such an extra special touch of craftsmanship to a project.

I like them all you have pictured here though. Spectacular spaulted lid on the first one. Great contrast.