Sanding On the Lathe

lew

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/15/2018 at 2:54 AM, Gerald said:

Not to hijack the tip but to extend it. Sand with lathe on for the first 2-3 grits and then sand with lathe off. Last 2-3 grits sand with the grain.

Greetings Gerald

I haven't seen any pro turner on their videos or Youtube clips or live demos or private demos seen anyone sanding off the lathe, they do all their sandings on the lathe, like Lewis said, turn using safe fast speed but sand with slow speed. Only pieces I sand off the lathe are natural edge pieces, top part where you got gaps and sanding disk can bounce around and leave uneven surface. 

10 hours ago, Jari said:

Greetings Gerald

I haven't seen any pro turner on their videos or Youtube clips or live demos or private demos seen anyone sanding off the lathe, they do all their sandings on the lathe, like Lewis said, turn using safe fast speed but sand with slow speed. Only pieces I sand off the lathe are natural edge pieces, top part where you got gaps and sanding disk can bounce around and leave uneven surface. 

I did not say off lathe but with lathe turned OFF.Have a look at some of Jimmy Clewes's videos and you will see he sands at high speed thru all grits. That works on very hard wood but on softer woods will leave deeper scratch pattern. Of coarse finesse is the key. Do not pres but float the sand paper over the piece.