Free for All Forum Changes (Resolved)

John Morris

What is it

A review of our Free For All forum, and an effort to clean up old files and images in order to save server resources.

What will happen?

A case by case action will be performed to determine what images are useful, and what images may be deleted. In some cases entire topics may be deleted, topics with multiple pages full of memes for example, the memes and frivolous images tend to be many, and take up valuable space on our server.

We love the Free For All Forum, but unfortunately, it will have to be thinned back in order to conserve resources on our server, for woodworking related subjects and images.

In a case where there may be a topic with many pages, we would delete the first two thirds of the topics pages, leaving the last third for continued participation. Since these topics do not contain any value for woodworking, nor does anyone actually go back and review memes posted 6 months ago, we feel this would be less intrusive on our guests and members. Most of the posts in the long running topics are quick hit and run "throw away" posts that contain entertainment value for that moment in time, but nothing of archival value.

Why?

The costs of running a forum, the costs of running a Managed Virtual Private Server are high, if we allow too many unrelated-to-woodworking files and graphic content to be placed in our community, thus taking up valuable server resources, we will be forced to pay for the next tier level of Managed hosting for our server, creating more of a financial burden on our community. The server space or room is not unlimited. We will hit a wall soon.

Thank you for your understanding, we will try to make this as painless as possible for all of you.

Please remember, when we make changes like this, it is done with a heavy heart, these decisions weigh heavily on myself because I hate upsetting folks, I know some folks are going to be upset, but please understand, this community is a 100 percent volunteer effort by myself, and our staff, not one single person including myself, gets paid one single dime, I do not walk away with a single penny of profit from this wonderful adventure we have created here. With the help of God and the complete understanding and patience from my own family, am I allowed to be here.

I appreciate everyone here, if you lurk here, participate here, share here, we love ya'll, and thank you again for your understanding.

• 3 months later...