Video Camera Suggestions

John Morris

Folks, I am going to purchase a video camera soon, and I am not sure where to start, or what to even look for.

Our oldest daughter is starting her Junior year at her university, she is a member of her universities symphony, orchestra, and choir, and they perform throughout the year. I have a only a few videos of her performances on our Canon camera which also doubles as a video recorder, but its primary purpose is a camera. I don't want to miss out on anymore of her performances, she has two years left, these are special times, I want to capture.

I want to purchase a dedicated video camera, that will take sharp videos, but I want the camera to be best at sound. And I am looking for stereo sound to capture the live music performances.

I may not have to spend this much, but I think I may have a budget of several hundred dollars, if that can buy a camera with great sound, I may have to dip into a credit card to finance the rest if required, but it's that important, I would do that.

Any suggestions for a brand and model are greatly appreciated, especially if you own it, and are happy with it.

Thanks in advance.

12 minutes ago, lew said:

Recording quality sounds from the audience is a real challenge. The distance, ambient noise and acoustics can all diminish the quality. You may have to consider a professional quality unit or add a shotgun mic to a less expensive device

Thanks Lew, it seems some of the recorders do come with stereo mics, I just don't know who effective they are.

Here is the wonderful thing about symphonies, and orchestral performances, you can hear a pin drop from the audience while the performance is underway! A well behaved (disciplined) mob to be sure.:)

Archived