Friday, August 10, 2018, What's On Your Patriot Woodworker Agenda?

John Moody

Wife has a "vintage" sewing machine that she takes out with her as it's the most portable.   She'd like a new box for it, so I'm working on that.   One issue is she doesn't want it too heavy, so I've had to re-saw and plane a bunch of boards down to 3/8" thick.  I am going to try box joints on the corners and think I have a good set up going, but it's a tight fit, so I may have to do some fiddling.

Tomorrow morning is cutting out parts for 64 tables for the furniture bank.  Usually takes 4-5 hours, but should go faster this time because we are now working on site and don't have to stretch-wrap all the parts, just stack them on the shelves.

Tomorrow night going down to Lost Art Press for Nancy Hiller's presentation.

i'd be worried about A) someone tipping that table over by leaning on the edge (as the legs don't extend to the edge of the top), and B ) someone leaning on the end of that table and snapping the glue joint in half, even with biscuits.  you do have some cross pieces underneath, right???

48 minutes ago, DAB said:

i'd be worried about A) someone tipping that table over by leaning on the edge (as the legs don't extend to the edge of the top)

I don’t have the dimensions for the table but the rule of thumb is that the legs need to be 70% as wide as the top.  Looks like that is indeed the case here.  

5 hours ago, DAB said:

i'd be worried about A) someone tipping that table over by leaning on the edge (as the legs don't extend to the edge of the top), and B ) someone leaning on the end of that table and snapping the glue joint in half, even with biscuits.  you do have some cross pieces underneath, right???

@DAB thanks for your concern. The upper supports come out past the glue joints on the top. The top is 42” and the base legs are 37” across. I was able to lean on it and not tilt it, however at my size I didn’t climb on top of it. 

Im sure the angle I took the picture didn’t give a good view of all the details. 

Thanks for your concern.