2 hours ago, Marv Rall said:

Seems there is little positive feeling about this Sears RAS . I for one have used this tool all of my woodworking years.-----No it is not equal to a Dewalt RAS but it has its place in a lineup. It crosscuts 17+"----works really well equipped with a dado head and does an accurate 90 degree----If properly setup. I keep mine at 90 degrees. If I need to fine tune at 90 I have learned to adjust the fence--not the saw proper. I also  own and use an excellent Milwaukee SLCM so I do have that as a reference point. Just my 2 cents but it works for me.

I agree with you Marv, I do the same with mine. I use it every day I am in the shop. I wouldn't trade mine for $100.

Herb

Edited by Dadio

I liked my old one I bought used 40+ years ago so well, I bought another one just like it over 10 years ago plus have an old B&D 10" I bought for $20 8 or 9 y/o. It's missing the table; wish it had come with round-tuits:P The old Craftsman's work great for wide cross cuts. My 10" Compound Miter Saw was purchased before reasonably affordable SLCM's were on the market.

12 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Folks, what was the recall for?

There were several law suits because of the design of the blade guard.  If you look at the saw, half of the blade is exposed and there were injuries because of it.  The recall replaced the old guard with a new full guard.  The older model, they bought out.

So the older models are a "loss" sort of speak, but the newer models they simply replace the guard?

The older models you have to return the motor?

And, so it's the same issue with the older models? The blade guard? The motor works fine, no flying parts or anything like that?

Thanks Ron

38 minutes ago, John Morris said:

So the older models are a "loss" sort of speak, but the newer models they simply replace the guard?

The older models you have to return the motor?

And, so it's the same issue with the older models? The blade guard? The motor works fine, no flying parts or anything like that?

Thanks Ron

They no longer replace any blade guards.  They require the motor and "carriage" be returned on all covered saws.  Must have run out of guards and to costly to make more. 

• 1 year later...