Flip Top Cart Build

Something funny on my computer?? I just started a new topic and the text from my project post was in the reply box?? 

Ok for my question of the day I need to combine my planer and another tool, sander more than likely and was wondering after doing a search came up with this archived topic. 

Did anyone actually build one and really liked their version or changes they would make now. Pics would be greatly appreciated.

Lew you added several links and was hoping someone liked one way better than the others. Look forward to hearing the feedback.

Allen did you ever build yours?

On 7/29/2018 at 5:47 AM, Pat Meeuwissen said:

Did anyone actually build one and really liked their version or changes they would make now. Pics would be greatly appreciated.

Lew you added several links and was hoping someone liked one way better than the others. Look forward to hearing the feedback.

Allen did you ever build yours?

No I did not.

As with all things that start in the shop, not all make it past the planning stage. I have/had a plan for making a flip top stand for my Rigid Planer and belt/disk sander. But when I sold my Jet Mini Lathe with extension I used that lathe table to put my planer, disk/belt sander and mortiser. It had a lot of storage underneath with a couple of drawers. I sold that a month or so back when we had a garage sale to guy who was very happy.

Not a flip-top, but here is the cabinet that I made for my sander and planer. Started with the sander at the most comfortable height and worked back from there. The planer is on a pull-out shelf, and maybe a little low at 20"+ off the ground, workable for a couple of pieces but I can always swap it with the sander. I looked at plans for a flip-top cabinet but knew that I would wind up spinning it without removing the extra drums, etc. - plus wound up with storage underneath. The three drawers are half the cabinet depth - the single deep drawer is deep enough to hold the sanding drums and belts upright, and the shallower drawers hold the accessories for the planer as well as other odds and ends.

IMG_4751.JPG.5bd33e9d8dcda2d966db3449d937a9a8.JPG

IMG_4759.JPG.b0f88671527df6d04789e658cbfae357.JPG

IMG_4748.JPG.7e70fbab7d53778d0b6cc9db6b3f176b.JPG

IMG_4750.JPG.5e165cfb500a7b2e20beb55d1869972c.JPG

Thanks @Grandpadave52 @Pat Meeuwissen

I've been making pulls like this for quite a while, actually had a template that made the ends a half circle but apparently misplaced that over the years so made these square with just the bit radius in the corners. After cutting the hole, I use a cove bit on the back to make a recess for my fingertips and then use a small roundover bit on the front - the secret is leaving enough land to guide the bearing.

Correct, the secret is to leave enough flat for the bearing on the r/o bit.  I've made a lot of these pulls over the years, and often toyed with the idea of making twp templates - one for the cutout and a second to use with a guide bushing and round nose bit  so I could make the cutout, do the roundover and then the relief on the back face.