Working Leather?

Pat Meeuwissen

I've done a bit of leather work, and I think the kit is a bit much.  To make the covers (which I really like), find a local leather store, buy the offcuts.  Then you'll want a simple rolling cutter (it's like a small pizza cutter), and a cutting surface.  Rather than sewing the edges, consider just gluing them.  You can also rivet leather rather easily.  The leather/hobby stores carry rivet kits and a variety of rivet sizes.  Rivet the open corners of the sleeve, and glue the edges.  To "square off" the edges, you could use leather thongs glued along the edges (the thong reduces the pinch at the edges, and the sleeve can then be narrower).  Keep it simple.....

Well I watched the video and made my sleeve with some scrap leather I had, calculated carefully was looking really good then when I slid the SHARP chisel into it for the first time it grabbed the leather and cut right thru.:angry: That was allot of work to just throw it away. I actually just slipped it onto a much skinnier chisel which I keep in my tool drawer. Need some thicker material and might try the rivet and glue method next time. Pete any recommendations on the type of glue?  

28 minutes ago, Pat Meeuwissen said:

Well I watched the video and made my sleeve with some scrap leather I had, calculated carefully was looking really good then when I slid the SHARP chisel into it for the first time it grabbed the leather and cut right thru.:angry: That was allot of work to just throw it away.

In the video at 4:50 he did the same thing but just the corner. Glad the sharp chisel missed your fingers.

Is there a reason it has to be leather. I made some covers for my turning tools from PVC pipe. It is durable and can be formed for a snapin fit. Just use a heatgun to form the pipe around the tool . You may have to heat again to get the correct snapin fit. You can round the tip to match the tool or make the PVC curve or flatten to match tools such as a Spindle Roughing Gouge or skew and scraper. By making the PVC pipe longer you can fit it over the ferrell also .

2045369926_lathetoolcoverclose.JPG.dde2518501752d765c73ad01fe583de2.JPG

I've had a Speedy Stitcher for 40 years or so and have used it to make some chisel covers out of scrap leather.  It works just like a sewing machine with a lock stitch (you manually do the "bobbin" part).   When I have to sew leather furniture, I use triangle pointed needles.  Because  that is usually blind stitching (from one side only) I use a post-mortem needle that gives me a good push point.

http://www.speedystitcher.com/#the-basics

On 7/29/2018 at 4:24 PM, Gerald said:

Is there a reason it has to be leather. I made some covers for my turning tools from PVC pipe. It is durable and can be formed for a snapin fit. Just use a heatgun to form the pipe around the tool . You may have to heat again to get the correct snapin fit. You can round the tip to match the tool or make the PVC curve or flatten to match tools such as a Spindle Roughing Gouge or skew and scraper. By making the PVC pipe longer you can fit it over the ferrell also .

2045369926_lathetoolcoverclose.JPG.dde2518501752d765c73ad01fe583de2.JPG

Gerald, I'm not sure how do you get a "snap fit"? This might work well for the tools I carry on my truck.

9 hours ago, Pat Meeuwissen said:

Gerald, I'm not sure how do you get a "snap fit"? This might work well for the tools I carry on my truck.

Pat by putting the tool into the pipe,which flatten should be close to the width of the tool, when the plastic is still warm and pliable the plastic will conform to the shape of the tool making a snap fit. Leave the tool in plastic till it cools to get the tight fit. It is possible that the tool may lock in the plastic and if this occurs just warm th plastic a little.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Pat Meeuwissen said:

John, have you had any more contact from Kari? The last contact I had with her was Aug 1 and she was going to put together a "kit" of starter tools and get some pics of a sheath she had made. I would love to hear her follow up ideas. Thanks Pat

Pat, I have been so behind these days, I actually have a photo montage she mailed me with explanations of the process, I will get it up here asap! So sorry for my delay!