Stick486

Food! . Food! and Grub.

4 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

so ''Bite Me'' isn't gonna work here either...

Guess not!

45 minutes ago, Chips N Dust said:

Guess not!

after a review...

not such a good idea either...

20 hours ago, Stick486 said:

you have an ice dispenser in the bathroom???

Maybe....:o

Seems legit!!

15march5.jpg.f6e2ee9873c94704e1a256ee01325753.jpg

3 hours ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Maybe....:o

you should...

Blood orange-thyme snack cake

Ingredients:

2 blood oranges

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened

1 cup sugar

4 eggs (at room temperature)

½ cup Greek yogurt

2 teaspoons plus 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup corn flour or fine cornmeal

½ cup white flour or gluten-free flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon thyme

1½ cup powdered sugar

Mint leaves (optional)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350°. Prepare an 8'' square pan. In the bowl of a standing mixer, beat the butter until fluffy, add sugar and mix until well combined. With the mixer running at medium speed, add eggs one at a time, allowing each to fully combine into the batter before adding the next. Add yogurt and two teaspoons vanilla. Mix until smooth.

In a separate bowl, whisk corn flour, white flour or gluten free flour, baking powder, salt, thyme and the zest of one orange. With the mixer running, slowly shake in the dry ingredients and mix, scraping the sides with a spatula, until it forms a batter. Spread it into the pan and bake 40 to 45 minutes, until the top is golden and springs back when touched. When the cake is done, invert on a rack to cool. To make the glaze, combine 4 tablespoons blood orange juice and a teaspoon of vanilla with the powdered sugar. Whisk until smooth. Pour over the cake (it can still be slightly warm).

Garnish with thinly-sliced oranges and mint leaves.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:55 AM, Stick486 said:

you have an ice dispenser in the bathroom???

I posted this recipe a while back and mentioned some changes/improvements that I was going to make

Cheddar Smoked Sausage Succotash

MEAT:

1 package Eckrich Cheddar Smoked Sausage Links

PRODUCE:

Handful red onion, chopped

Two handfuls green pepper, chopped

1 cup frozen corn, thawed

1 cup frozen lima beans, thawed

1 pint grape tomatoes, sliced in half

PANTRY:

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

GRILL:

Smoked sausage links on lightly oiled grill pan over medium heat for about 10 minutes.

Slice smoked sausage and put aside.

Saute red onion, garlic and green pepper until softened.

Add corn, lima beans, grape tomatoes, dried thyme, dash of salt and pepper.

Cook 5 minutes over medium heat.

Toss in reserved smoked sausage and red wine vinegar. Heat up some frozen pre-made garlic bread and dunk.

So, here's what I did

Substituted canned corn, drained, for the frozen, substituted cooked, drained, lima beans for the frozen and a can of diced tomatoes, drained, for the grape tomatoes.

This made all the difference but I used Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes with green chilies - this really gave the dish a great taste, spicy without being super hot, although my lips could tell the chilies were there. Unfortunately, the chilies were a little more obvious the next day. Thinking that I'm going to try a can of Del Monte Mild Diced Tomatoes for the next iteration.

So Stick told me about this thread and I thought I'd make a contributrition. Ok guys and gals, I'm going to give you by most treasured one. I make this once a year at either Thanksgiving or Christmas and it is rich.

Seafood Bisque

Ingredients

1/2 tbsp butter

3 tbsp minced onion

2 tbsp minced celery

2/3 cup flour

2 tsp minced garlic

3 - 12 oz cans of evaporated milk

3 - 16 oz cartons of half & half

1-1/2 cups water

In a stock pot, saute onion, garlic, and celery in butter. Add flour and let cool. Add milk, half & half, and water stirring constantly until thick while heating at medium.  Set aside.

Ingredients

1 lb shrimp (I use 16-20s)

1/2 lb scallop (sea or bay but if sea cut up)

1/2 lb blue crab meat

5 oz mushrooms sliced and cut

1 tbsp parsley

1 tsp paprika

2 tsp sugar

4 tbsp lobster base

Old Bay seasoning to taste

1/4 cup sherry

Saute shrimp and scallops in butter. Add to stock pot (above 1st step mixture). Saute mushrooms and add to pot with crab. Add lobster base and remaining ingredients and stir till thickened. Move to serving bowls and at your discretion sprinkle lightly with paprika and parsley and serve hot.

If memory serves it takes about 1-1/2 - 2 hours to prepare and make. This recipe came from Clausen's Restaurant in Beaufort, NC. It took me a fair number of years to finally get the recipe from them but worth every year imho. It is rich so serve sparingly unless it's for me......just saying

Edited by sreilly24590

thanks Steve...

Salmon noodle casserole

Ingredients:

16 ounces short pasta

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

4 tablespoons flour

3½~4 cups milk

1 teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)

½ teaspoon ground black or white pepper

2~3 cloves garlic, minced

1 tablespoon olive oil

¾ cup thinly sliced leek or yellow onion

2 stalks celery, finely chopped (1/3 cup)

½ cup sliced fresh mushrooms or zucchini

2 tablespoons chopped capers, rinsed and drained

1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or dill

½ cup feta cheese

½ cup grated Parmesan cheese

12 ounces canned salmon

Directions:

Bring a large pot of salted water to a full boil. Add pasta and stir. Bring water back to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally about 8 minutes or until tender but not mushy. Drain and set aside. Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly butter or oil a large oven-proof casserole dish; set aside.

While pasta cooks, make the sauce. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in flour until combined. Slowly whisk in 3 1/3 cups of the milk and bring mixture to a low boil. Continue whisking until mixture begins to thicken, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add salt, peppers, and garlic. If mixture is too thick, add in a bit more milk and stir. Turn off heat and set aside.

Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add leek, celery and mushrooms or zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally until golden. Stir in rinsed capers and fresh herbs. Add reserved pasta, feta and Parmesan cheeses, and stir to combine. Stir in ¾ of the reserved white sauce and the salmon. Taste and add more salt or pepper as needed. Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish. Top with remaining white sauce and more cheese, if desired. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until top is golden and bubbling. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.

Salmon pot pie with Parmesan crust

Ingredients:

Crust:

1 stick (½ cup) cold butter, chopped
Roughly 4oz (about a ½ cup) Parmesan
1½ cup flour
¼~½ cup cold water
2 tsp thyme
One egg, beaten

Filling:

1 cup cooked rice (white, brown or wild)
10~12 ounces raw salmon
1 tbl bacon fat or two slices of bacon, diced
2 cups cabbage, chopped
1 small leek, white part only, diced
½ large white onion (about 1 cup), diced
2 cups chopped mushrooms
A rib of celery, finely chopped
1 tsp thyme
Salt and pepper
1 tbl butter
1 tbl flour
1¼ cup stock, seafood preferably
½ cup cream

Directions:

At least three hours before you plan to eat, in the bowl of a food processor, grind the Parmesan until it's fine. Add butter, flour and thyme, pulse into a fine meal. Drizzle water to the mixture with the blade spinning until it forms a ball. Divide in two, wrap in Saran, put in the fridge for at least an hour. (If you're in a pinch, the freezer for 20 minutes works, too.)

About an hour and a half before dinner, preheat oven to 350°. Over medium heat, melt bacon fat and sauté cabbage, onion, leek, celery, mushrooms about 10 minutes, until soft. Salt and pepper generously. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and whisk in flour to form a paste. Pour in the stock, whisk to combine. Allow to boil and thicken, remove from heat. Roll out the dough and line a 9'' pie pan. Layer rice, salmon, vegetables. Pour the stock mixture over it and then drizzle the cream over the top. Cover with second crust and cut some small vents. Brush with a beaten egg. Bake 40 minutes. Cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.

Notes:

The raw salmon, chopped or use the equivalent canned. (you can use smoked, but don't add salt to the vegetables if you do)