Friday, July 20, 2018, What's On Your Patriot Woodworker Agenda?

I've been spending a bit of time trying to get my JD lawn tractor running right. GrampaDave has been a tremendous help, but the throttling up and down just wont stop. So far, I've changed everything in the fuel system. Carburetor, gas filter, fuel pump, all of the fuel lines and riser pipe in the gas tank.  Also re adjusted the governor, replaced the air cleaner, spark plug, oil filter and oil.There has to be something else going on. I hate to do it, but I'm about to the point where it will have to go to the repair shop. Everything points to a lean fuel mixture, but everything is new. I've surely learned a lot about small engines from Dave, but I haven't been able to stop the throttling up and down.

On 7/20/2018 at 8:13 AM, Gene Howe said:

John's Friday posts are always interestingly varied and, inspiring, to boot. 

Cal,That's a great restore job on that mirror frame. Two questions...how did you get that picture without any reflections in the mirror? And, whatcha got going on with the wall behind the chair? 

I certainly envy your anticipated leisurely stroll through the beautiful and, historic neighborhoods of Savannah. In '97, we spent a few days camped on Tybee and took a memorable carriage ride through the area. Gorgeous architecture and a fascinating history. 

Thanks Gene.  The mirror was facing a wall with nothing on it in that particular spot, and then it was just finding the sweet spot where the photo would take without me, or my hand or the camera in it.  On the wall behind the chair?  I have laid out a large city silhouette that I plan to cut in vinyl and attach.  Before committing to the vinyl I used the pen tool to draw the design out on paper, then I just cut it out with sissors and taped up to see if we like the size shape and looks of it.  Here is a pic I did for our dining area.  This was done to draw attention from construction work in progress - if you are looking at this you do not notice the duct tape on the walls & ceiling!!!

Some pics from last week:

The wife's work rig - this trailer has a driving simulator in it that she provides driver training to first responders around the state.  Last week it was the Georgia Assoc. of Chiefs of Police; this week will be at the Georgia Sheriff's Assoc. conference in Jekyll Island.

A shot of Savannah from across the Savannah River, the gold domed building is City Hall.

A couple shots of tall buildings and the detail work done on the top floors.

And one shot of an interesting home in one of the older, off the beaten path, neighborhoods.

IMG_1434.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2071.jpg

IMG_2072.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg

IMG_2074.jpg

IMG_2078.jpg

We've taken a few cruises on that River boat. Sunday brunch cruise was always a good trip. It goes up river. A little intimidating at times when a cargo ship passes you.

Savannah has such beautiful, unique and historical architecture. A great city, with great people and even better food.

10 minutes ago, Cal said:

A double post, sorry about that!

Those pictures deserve to be seen at least twice. 

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. You are one creative guy. I not only envy your creativity but, also your gorgeous surroundings. 

Savannah is definitely the crown jewel of the south. 

Edited by Gene Howe

4 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

We've taken a few cruises on that River boat. Sunday brunch cruise was always a good trip. It goes up river. A little intimidating at times when a cargo ship passes you.

Savannah has such beautiful, unique and historical architecture. A great city, with great people and even better food.

Dave, if it has been a few years since your cruise - you may very well have been entertained by a good friend of ours that was the captain.  He left some few years back to pilot one on the Alabama River in Montgomery.

In the event it was our friend, forget everything he said on the cruise... it was likely "embellished"!!!  But it would have been a fun time:D  We took several dinner cruises with him, perhaps our paths crossed...

5 hours ago, Cal said:

In the event it was our friend, forget everything he said on the cruise... it was likely "embellished"!!!  But it would have been a fun time:D  

It become tradition for us...arrive in Savannah either late on a Friday or Saturday then book the Sunday brunch cruise. Always enjoyed it, well except for the pass by of the paper-pulp mill...smell could quince a meal.

5 hours ago, Cal said:

We took several dinner cruises with him, perhaps our paths crossed...

Only took one dinner cruise...very enjoyable & serene...perhaps we were on the same cruise. I was the guy with side-boards on my plates.:lol:

Took one of the dolphin cruises too. Very enjoyable...I spent a good deal of time talking to the Captain before & after that trip. Learned a lot about the vessel and more important to me, what kind of Marine engines it had...fortunately they were the "right" brand.;)