Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Years ago I came up with this idea for cutting strips by using my wooden feather board. I submitted it to a wood magazine. I won $25 and signed away all rights. As you can see, I just installed roller bearings. It worked very good. 3 months later, in a wood working sale flyer, there it was and labeled as "Dual use feather board, exciting new tool" That was my last submission of any kind.

jig for strips (1).JPG

jig for strips (2).JPG

If I remember correctly, a similar story for the man who originally designed the devise for flocking.  There are givers and there are takers.  Danl

image.png.b2a8eeb75fcc722734353faf28ccb390.png

I know what you mean! The company that sells those blue, round rubber sided cookies asked for alternative use ideas. I suggested using them for laptop risers to prevent heat buildup. Later, black cookies appeared in their catalog advertised as laptop risers. I did get a pack of the blue cookies.

i guess we are too nice.

as a lot, woodworkers are quick to share ideas, not hog the credit for new jigs or tools or methods.

but there are those out there that are happy to make a buck off someone else's back.

Rockler has a clamp rack they sell.  for $180 or so.

i made my own.  works both ways.

https://www.ebay.com/i/253530217349?chn=grain. The resulting wood displays a cathedral pattern on the face of the board.">ps

s-l640.jpg

IMG_3443.JPG

Y'all may not remember this, but Buck Nall (Ol buck) put a thread on the old Wood forum with a yarn about a new coon hound puppy and his also new ROS. It was several paragraphs long, and I was rolling on the floor by the time I finished it. Anyway, a coon hound publication had caught wind of the story and wanted to publish it, and my (maybe faulty) recollection was that because Buck had put it on the Wood forum, they now owned the rights to it. As I recall Buck did get it published, but I think he was wrangling with Wood over whether he could do so. The episode soured my taste for Wood at the time. It was only here that I found out Buck had finally got it published, maybe if he catches this he can straighten my story out.

17 hours ago, lew said:

I know what you mean! The company that sells those blue, round rubber sided cookies asked for alternative use ideas. I suggested using them for laptop risers to prevent heat buildup. Later, black cookies appeared in their catalog advertised as laptop risers. I did get a pack of the blue cookies.

some years ago, i had a new 1998 corvette, and the standard dealer lifts would damage the bodywork if there was not a spacer inserted into holes in the frame.  it was quickly discovered that standard hockey pucks worked perfectly for this.  and with a little puzzling, you could attach at modified wooden knob, so the puck would not move, as the knob could be inserted into an oblong hole, turned 90 degrees, and the puck would stay put.

hockey pucks could be had for $1, and the wooden knobs (4 needed) for a few bucks more.  so problem solved for less than $10.  so i posted pics and descriptions of this on a corvette related website, as a little DIY project.  a month later, a new advertiser shows up, selling versions of this to owners.  for $40-60 a set.

knock yourself out dude.  i have my set.  you can make your own, or you can buy those (and others that cropped up later).  i had no interest in getting into the business of making and selling these things.

as for finishing items on my workbench:  i took some scrap 3/16" thick Lexan, cut it into elongated diamonds, heated them, bent them, and now have little pyramids that work great.

ah yes, "you wrote it on our website, so now it is ours!"

fine, last funny bit you will see from me.  i have lots of funny stories you weasels.

3 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

Y'all may not remember this, but Buck Nall (Ol buck) put a thread on the old Wood forum with a yarn about a new coon hound puppy and his also new ROS. It was several paragraphs long, and I was rolling on the floor by the time I finished it. Anyway, a coon hound publication had caught wind of the story and wanted to publish it, and my (maybe faulty) recollection was that because Buck had put it on the Wood forum, they now owned the rights to it. As I recall Buck did get it published, but I think he was wrangling with Wood over whether he could do so. The episode soured my taste for Wood at the time. It was only here that I found out Buck had finally got it published, maybe if he catches this he can straighten my story out.

Now I'm going to have to copyright everything I post.   I used to have to do that with the software products that I wrote.  The company wanted the first 50 and last 50 lines of code to submit to USPTO for copyright filing.   Since there were about 1 million lines of code and there was no clear first and last because it was assembled together and pick and choose which pieces depending on which environment it ran it and which options you licensed as a customer, I just send them the first 50 lines near the entry point and another 50 lines from another module.

A friend told me about a company using a photo in an ad that another friend had posted on Facebook.  He wrote to complain and he was told they bought the rights to use it from Facebook and it was no longer his.

Edited by kmealy