TGIF: Three Things - Waterborne Finishes. Tuesday, July 17, 2018

kmealy

10 hours ago, lew said:

Thanks!

I always have trouble with the second coat tending to have runs even with sanding before the second application

Runs are usually due to too thick application.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/techniques/finishing/how-to-avoid-runs-sags

Edited by kmealy

9 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

Good stuff. That "curing in the cold" thing is the biggest drawback I see with them, although a lot of folks really grump about the grain raising (not me, no big deal).

"bury the grain."    Let the first coat raise the grain.  It's up and stiff, knock it off with P400 sandpaper and maroon Scotch-Brite pads.  No need to "pre-raise."  

I guess I should add another warning.  Oil, varnish, and mineral spirits are widely compatiable.   Mix in whatever proportions you want.  Dump in a thinner to reduce viscosity of varnish, add enough and you have a wiping varnish.  Mix oil and varnish to make an oil-varnish blend, add thinner to make a wiping consistency.   Buy some Danish Oil and add some varnish to make it a more film-forming finish.

Not so fast with water-borne finishes.

W/b finishes are delicate balances of up to a dozen components.  You can't always just add some water, glycol ether, resins, colorants, surfactants, or de-foamers and expect them to work as designed.  Some mfrs offer a thinner, some do not.  Some you can dump in selected stains and make a toner, some not.  Remember the rule -- if you have not done it before, test of scrap before you put it on the top of that table you've spent 100 hours making.