Please Add Tags!

lew

20 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Is there a subcategory in each forum for tips

Yes, John just added the sub category.

21 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

when we have a tip to add, it needs to be a new post with tags

I think that's how it is supposed to work. I'll add a tip to the turners forum/tips and check it out.

Just added a tip in the Woodturners Tip sub category. Not sure if everything is set up correctly because when I do a "search" for it by tag word, it doesn't show up. Maybe it takes time to populate. If it continues I'll check with John.

8 hours ago, Gerald said:
  • Ok so acquaint us with something on this feature
  • the purpose
  • how to use (do we make a new post on each tip?)
  • how easy will it be to scan the posts (say title such as hollowing, sharpening) 
  • The tips subcategory is for tips only, related to the main category.
  • The purpose is to separate out the tips from the general information or sharing that goes on in the main category, so that the tips may be accessible quicker and with ease.
  • Yes, please, make a brand new topic for each tip, please use thoughtful title for your tips, so that folks may know just by the title, what the tip is.
  • As long as the community titles their tips accordingly to the content, it should be pretty easy.

4 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

@lew @John Morris

I'm lost. Is there a subcategory in each forum for tips? Then, when we have a tip to add, it needs to be a new post with tags? Seems complicated to me. 

I'm sooo confused. But, what else is new?

Yes Gene, Tips now go into the subcategory for Tips. Tips are well thought out technical ways to accomplish a procedure.

Yes, each tip needs to be a new topic, with tags, so that our community and guests will be able to easily search the tips.

3 hours ago, lew said:

Just added a tip in the Woodturners Tip sub category. Not sure if everything is set up correctly because when I do a "search" for it by tag word, it doesn't show up. Maybe it takes time to populate. If it continues I'll check with John.

Lew, tags are not included in searches, because tags are clickable, the beauty of tags is when you click on one, any associated topic or community items such as a gallery item, blog, or anything, will be brought up in a nice list, with same tags.

3 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

Now I have it. Will new tips automatically show up when "Unread Content" is selected? Or will we have to go to each forum to see those tips? 

Yes, the new Tips topics will show up in new content. Also, just like the main categories for each forum, the title of the category is bold and dark when a new post or topic was created, the text then fades when all items are read. The same is for the Tips sub categories.

47 minutes ago, Gerald said:

@lew I was referring to the tips. To me a keyword should lead to the tip. Such as sharpening, jig, hollowing tool and so on.

Bingo, tags are keywords, thus the tags should be well thought out, and consistent, so that when you click on a tag, all tips will be brought up, that are tagged with the same tag. This is why I have been pushing the use of tags, for a long time, they are awesomely powerful.