Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
CharlieL

Delta 50-760 Dust Collector, 1&1/2 Hp With 2 Nd Stage

Rate this topic

Not only did I spend time puting together a good efficient DC for my situation, I've designed and built with sheet metal what I think are more efficient dust hoods then what is out there for some of the machines that I own. Delta Contractor's table saw, JET 6" jointer, and a Delta thickens planer.

Edited by CharlieL

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:24 AM, CharlieL said:

Not only did I spend time puting together a good efficient DC for my situation, I've designed and built with sheet metal what I think are more efficient dust hoods then what is out there for some of the machines that I own. Delta Contractor's table saw, JET 6" jointer, and a Delta thickens planer.

Charlie are you using metal, plastic or wood or some combination of those. I have done most of the ones I have made in wood but also used some plastic inside to make the friction lower and create a slanted surface.

1 hour ago, Gerald said:

Charlie are you using metal, plastic or wood or some combination of those.

All the dust hoods that I made are made with sheet metal. I have one I made with wood and metal just to see how it would look, I think that it turned out pretty well, but I still continue to build them strictly out of sheet metal.

Edited by CharlieL

7 hours ago, CharlieL said:

but I still continue to build them strictly out of sheet metal.

I had thought about this during my twin TS build but opted for the look and convenience of staying with wood which I had on hand.  I did not use DC or have any hook ups for the TS.  Instead I went with drawers that can be emptied when full.  NOT a perfect solution, but it works.

30 minutes ago, CharlieL said:

Why do I even bother mentioning it?

Because someone else might look at the blog and say, hey this guy suggested this and used it this way.  But this other guy had different problem and used it this way.

The sheet metal idea is solid, it works, others have used it as well.  The whole point of discussion is a sharing of ideas, tips and suggestions.

You mentioned dust hoods, how about some pictures and explanations of what worked and what gave you trouble.  Not everyone is comfortable working with sheet metal.

I used sheet metal because I think it's appropriate and can be grounded. Plus stupid me was hoping that others would want to support a fellow woodworker and buy some hoods from me. The first hood I made someone else copied it, but made it from wood. He claims that it may not be his design, but he still takes credit from people for it. Because of that I am leary of showing alot.

Edited by CharlieL

Charlie, I'm not sure whether you have a burr under your saddle or not but it comes across that way, at least to me. These forums allow us to share ideas, and someone copying or duplicating said ideas is considered (again, by me) to be an honorable thing. I've never expected to be rewarded financially from this, the rewards comes from helping others. As for a post disappearing...no idea, I've been following this thread and don't see one missing, but then maybe it disappeared before I got to it. John does address the freedom of speech sentiment in his introduction to the forum....basically if it's offensive it's not allowed. But I've not seen useful information go poof.

14 hours ago, CharlieL said:

It looks like someone deleted a post of mine that was right here. So much for freedom of speech. 

Nothing has been deleted, I have not deleted anything. As a policy we do not delete anything. What we do do though is hide offensive posts for Admins to review. And we leave those hidden posts up indefinitely for future use if required. I do not see any posts on this page that another admin has hidden.

4 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

Charlie, I'm not sure whether you have a burr under your saddle or not but it comes across that way, at least to me. These forums allow us to share ideas, and someone copying or duplicating said ideas is considered (again, by me) to be an honorable thing. 

I'm pretty sure the post was never put out, and if thats the case I have a pretty good idea as to who it was. As far asa sharing goes, I would be more inclined to be honored if the guy gave me credit for the idea. The other thing I don't care for in some of these forums is once you post something after a short amount of time there is no going back. There is alot that I wish I had not shared. Perhaps starting my own website where I can control my posts better. It should be up to me to decide what and when I want to share, not anyone else. And if you don't want to support me, fine, but don't expect me to feel motivated about much here.

Edited by CharlieL

So be it.

5 minutes ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

as you wish.....but with a negative attitude your own website may just have only one participant. Regardless, I wish you the best.

Oh well, my next project I'm thinking about adding a light inside a old benchtop Eastwood media blasting cabinet. I'm checking out to see what the retailers have to offer now for size, efficiency, and cost. Then I'll go from there. I need to clean or replace the protective window film inside also. Dust collection to keep the air clear I think I have pretty much figured out. Should be a fun positive experience like most projects are, until the unappreciative get envolved.

1 hour ago, CharlieL said:

I'm pretty sure the post was never put out

It's impossible, first off, we don't sit here and babysit posts all day long. And we can't see posts before they are submitted, physically and technologically impossible. We see the posts just like everyone else here, not till you click on "Save".

Charlie, the little green men don't exist in this community, you'll have to look elsewhere.

On 9/19/2019 at 4:39 AM, CharlieL said:

that others would want to support a fellow woodworker and buy some hoods from me.

Had no idea you made them and SOLD them.

1 hour ago, CharlieL said:

Perhaps starting my own website where I can control my posts better.

Always a possibility, and why not try it?  Many people have done things like this and made money at it.  Now on the flip side it is not as easy as one might think.  Costs money to have a server, storage space cost money, and then of course your time invested in keeping it up to date, monitoring content, and a host of other details I am sure.  Being curious about this I recently inquired and got a real eye opener moment with how much it cost to run.  If you use sponsors then they will not take well to what they deem offensive posts, and can pull out at will.  So some admin, and rules for posting will be needed. At some point someone will get feelings hurt and as the owner of the site you get to deal with it.  

Walk in @John Morris shoes for a moment.  Guy works for "FREE" and so ties up his personal time everyday to do all the above.  He has a life too, things to do, good events, things in life health or otherwise that go deep south.  And yet he is here everyday dealing with it.

I have a simple set of rules for posting.

1. Positive attitude /  or information

2.A question about something

3.Humorous =  Yes / No

4. No complaints. That's what messages to admin are for.

7 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

These forums allow us to share ideas, and someone copying or duplicating said ideas is considered (again, by me) to be an honorable thing. I've never expected to be rewarded financially from this, the rewards comes from helping others. 

Fred, I looked at your profile and didn't see where you took the time to come ups with a new way to do something, and then shared it. Maybe you can point me to where it is that you did that.