Purchasing Old Woodworking MacHinery

Folks, I am going to be selling off my larger equipment, time to downsize, and I am going to replace it with older and smaller antique machinery, first on the chopping block is my 12" Grizz table saw, and I want to replace it with old ARN, does anyone know of some good locations via internet to purchase old machinery? I know about Ebay, Craigslist, any others?

Thanks!

John, do a search for Habitat for Humanity Restores in your area and areas of your travel. At least in our area, I've seen many different kinds of tools & equipment donated. Also, area Thrift Stores, in-door & outdoor flea markets, yard/garage sales. You can check CL, Garage Sales, for your area...many advertise there vs spending $$ to take out ads in a newspaper.

I've had great success with all...patience & timing is the key. I've found items at garage/yard sales which weren't listed or only listed as "tools." Often times a bust, but bought my Jet bench-top planer, NIB at one sale where only a Craftsman table saw was listed...same sale had a wood lathe, drill press, dozens of power & hand tools; ya' just never know...many folks don't know what they really have.

Watch for auctions and estate sales as well. Another venue might be local wood-working clubs. Ironically, someone from ours just sent out a note today they had their Grizzly 12" TS for sale.

Best of luck and keep us posted. 

Gramps, thanks for all the great tips and resources. I figured I'd have to work for it, it can't be as easy as clicking a mouse and hitting "Buy" can it! You are right, I'll have to do some leg work. I am in no rush so time is on my side, so as you said, sit back and wait for it.

Thanks Gramps!

10 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Keeping my eye out for something along these lines.

Don't know about Kalifornayee (probably a Prop against owning them there:rolleyes:), but I see them them quite often here John. Sears.Craftsman/Atlas must have sold millions of those after the war through the mid early 1960's. Here on CL's, estate sales, garage sales & flea markets. Most are not refurbished to that degree, but occasionally you see some pretty nicely redone. Of course, half the fun is the refurbing, right?

4 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Of course, half the fun is the refurbing, right?

NO sir!:lol:

Just wanna flip the switch and go! I tried my hand at refurbishing an ol Walker Turner DP, failed miserably, decided I am better off letting someone else make it shiny and pretty.

4 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

Are you on your way there yet? (Very nice!)

No, I just woke up from my illusion Fred, and realized I'll need to sell my big ol Grizz first in order to acquire the proceeds for something like this, so now I am motivated to get that sucker sold!:cowboy:

15 hours ago, John Morris said:

Well, lookee what I just found! 2 hrs south of me.

See there....and you thought this was going to be difficult...:P

Those old 100 Series were great saws...always plenty of parts etc. on Flea-bay for them, plus see them around, not restored for $25-$100 on a frequent basis.

Get that 4 Sale sign on the Grizz.:)

50 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

See there....and you thought this was going to be difficult...:P

Those old 100 Series were great saws...always plenty of parts etc. on Flea-bay for them, plus see them around, not restored for $25-$100 on a frequent basis.

Get that 4 Sale sign on the Grizz.:)

They seem to be plenty here in So Cal Gramps, but not in that condition. I have not seen one like that since I don't remember when. And a great price too. 400 bucks for a fully restored saw like this? I feel bad for not being able to get it right now, I doubt there will be another like it anytime soon, but hey, timing is everything! It just means the right saw is still waiting for me, when I am ready, it's the law of the universe.

2 hours ago, PostalTom said:

John, you mentioned that California still has woodworking in the schools.  Maybe you could reach out to the people who acquire/dispose of woodworking machinery within the CA school system and get on their auction list. 

Excellent idea! Thanks Tom!

John, some of the school districts sell on Govdeals.com

While they sometimes get some older equipment on the block, I have never seen a table saw like you pictured up above.

Here is today's woodworking listings:

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.AdvSearchResultsNew&searchPg=Category&additionalParams=true&sortOption=ad&timing=BySimple&timingType=&category=160

1 hour ago, Jim Harvey said:

Do some research first. Some of those King Seeley saws (I have two, a table saw and a 3 wheel band saw) have non-replacable bearings.

Jim, thanks for the tip, I had never thought of those old machines in that sense, you bet, make sure replacement parts are available!

Great to see ya here sir!

• 2 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:02 AM, John Morris said:

Just wanna flip the switch and go! I tried my hand at refurbishing an ol Walker Turner DP, failed miserably, decided I am better off letting someone else make it shiny and pretty.

John,

Say it  ain't  so!

Edited by Larry Buskirk

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:57 PM, Grandpadave52 said:

Of course, half the fun is the refurbing, right?

You got that right especially when the machine your rebuilding has to end up as a Frankenstein Monster because some parts are made from the rare element :ph34r: Unobtainium :ph34r: and are broken/damaged or missing. :Tapping: 

:998427331_ChinScratch:In some cases not a bad thing in that the parts used for replacement may actually improve the machine being rebuilt. :2030125484_TwoThumbsUp:

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:02 AM, John Morris said:

Oh John, (we need a shaking head gif)

For the patience you show in building chairs, etc. I really believe you could rebuild a machine.

:998427331_ChinScratch:Or is it just the immediate gratification of just flipping a switch? :2087728586_WonderScratch: