My Other Hobby.

Artie

So we got our little heat wave going on up here in the northeast corner of our country. I have the next 6 days off. People have been going to the beaches, and because of the heat going in the cold water. I will be at beaches the next 3 mornings trying to break my 4 year dry spell on finding gold with my detector :) So fishing and golf come to mind, what other hobbies do the sawdust creators here like to do?

First picture left to right 10k gold ring, 10k white gold ring, 14k ring. Second picture 2 women’s watches, they look like gold, but alas.....NO.

Third picture left two rings tungsten carbide, right two rings stainless steel. Bottom picture is all silver.

I love being on the beach, and the sights sren’t Too bad either.  :)  

19 hours ago, Artie said:

what other hobbies do the sawdust creators here like to do?

Great finds Artie and certainly worth the beach combing excursions. No where near the extent or expertise you display, but I have dabbled with my metal detector...I did find an 1864, 2 cent piece on our property many years ago...lots of horse shoes (from the old farming method days) and rusty bent nails...I use mine mostly to find stuff I've dropped while working in the yard or driveway.:lol:

As for other hobbies, tool collecting (or hoarding) has become a passion. Just bringing something back to life someone else decided to toss is rewarding. I also still do as much of my mechanical work as possible; cars & trucks not as much, but garden tractors, mowers, tillers, weed trimmers, etc.

I enjoy going to yard, garage sales and flea markets; never know what you might find. My wife & I used to collect various pieces of Fire King glassware along with Boopie glassware & some Candlewick.

Great thread Artie...Thanks for the post!!

Last year, after I moved "to the country,"  I resumed keeping honeybees.   A lot has changed since I last did it in 1994, mostly pests that need to be monitored and controlled.   With any luck, I'll pull some honey next weekend.

In addition to doing the regular volunteer work at the furniture bank, this year my wife and I started being volunteer ushers at the theater in town that does local productions, traveling Broadway shows, and special events.  We are also starting at music hall, home of the symphony, pops, opera, and ballet companies (listed in decreasing order of my interest).  I'm president of the local woodworking club and the new treasurer of the local beekeeping club (that has been a real mess to clean up after 3 years of neglect, records kept on scraps of paper here and there, a checkbook with scribbles and scratched out entries, and loss of state registration and tax-exempt status.)

5 hours ago, Cal said:

Very cool Artie.  Have you ever found the owner of a treasure?  It would be a long shot for sure, but what a story!

This is the short version of the story (I can picture my wife rolling her eyes at me saying I was gonna tell a short story LOL). 3 years ago, on June 6, I was at Hampton beach NH, detecting. I saw about 24 other guys there detecting, it was a Saturday. I see a guy older than me, with a women younger than me, detecting. They are using antique metal detectors, from the early 70’s. I know they are not gonna find anything in the wet sand, the technology wasn’t available back then. The guy comes over to me to say hi. I take off the headphones, and we talk. Turns out he used to live about 600 feet from I currently live. As we talk the woman comes over to say hi, she is his daughter. Her son lost a charm on Mother’s Day, at the beach. It was Jesus, with a crown of thorns. She shows me a picture of it, from her phone. It doesn’t ring any bells, but I give her my e-mail address and tell her to send me an e-mail when she gets home, I’ll check my tin, where I keep these things. I ask her where the charm was lost, she shows me the area they were in, I concentrate on that area. I don’t find any charm, but do find a Mercury head dime (SILVER!) with a 1944 date on it, did I mention this was on June 6 ? D DAY!  So I go home and search my finds and find the charm! She had sent me an e-mail so I took a picture, of the charm and e-mailed her back, asking how to return it to her. I sent my phone number in the e-mail. Within ten minutes she calls me, and she’s sobbing uncontrollably. This charm was the last thing her Mother had given to her grandson (her son), before she passed away on Easter Day. They had my wife and I over to their house for a cookout, and took pictures of me giving Nathan back his charm. I have never taken any drug that induces this beautiful a feeling. In the picture of the 3 gold rings, I am keeping the two wedding bands, because I hope to return them. One is a distinctive design, and the other has a beautiful inscription. Once a year I post on facebook , and have placed notices in the local papers, in the lost and found sections. Any jewelry that is not returnable due to no way of verifying ownership, goes to the Missus to see if it fits her, if it does and she likes it, end of story (this also makes it very easy to get permission to go detecting LOLOLOL). If no fit, I sometimes sell them, put new tires on the car once. I looked up the 10K white gold wedding band online, new it sells for $1100 to $1200. What I would get from selling it, is a percentage of the gold value in the ring. NO WHERE NEAR $1100 ! If we were talking about a grand or two for a ring I might have a moral quandary on my hands,  but for the couple of hundred I get, I feel much better after returning them, than selling them. 

This is being written after returning from the beach this morning. I was searching for buried treasure, but I mostly found buried trash LOL. I got a dime, a penny, a lobster trap knuckle, and what my wife identified as a Lotus flower charm. The charm is other than gold or silver. Lots of pull tabs, and aluminum trash, part of a lobster trap. I had a great time and am going to a different beach tomorrow :) 

50 minutes ago, Artie said:

This is the short version of the story

Short or long version, either way a GREAT story Artie with a 1 in a zillion odds...moral is the right people are put in the right places at the right time.

Thanks for taking the time to share....enjoyed and appreciated reading!

37 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Short or long version, either way a GREAT story Artie with a 1 in a zillion odds...moral is the right people are put in the right places at the right time.

Thanks for taking the time to share....enjoyed and appreciated reading!

I told this tale to a friend who works for the library, in the town I work for. He said he was reading a book on philosophy. The quote he gave me was   “A coincidence is Gods way of staying anonymous ”     I liked it. 

I like the story Artie. Just wondering if you've ever tried scanning at the Salisbury State reservation. There is a charge to access the beach there, but it is a popular location, with 484 campsites in the campground. You'll also see guys fishing on the Merrimack river side of the reservation looking for Bass . I've only caught cod and pollack while fishing there. 2 boat ramps at the campground. Lots of beach goers on the ocean front. Could the campground be a site worth trying during the off season after Labor Day? Thousands of campers migrate thru there during the summer.

My other hobbies include incidental coin collecting and stamp collecting. I recently sold my complete collection of Liberty Head dimes and have wished I never sold the collection since. Whatever else I have left will stay with me .

My stamp collecting started when my wife's dad passed away. He gave us his collection of US and world wide stamps that date back to the 20's an earlier when he started collecting. It is a huge collection with 4 albums. He was a very serious collector. This went to my son. After he passed away, his wife kept the collection, but I still have my own collection that I've continued to grow, mostly stamp blocks and full page issues where the full page creates an image for the issue.

After what was left of hurricane Sandy hit us, the sand that had previously covered up the gun mounts on the beach, where exposed for the first time in about 30 years. I usually detect there when I’m at Salisbury. I like finding the shells from the 50 cal rounds. I have a 5 gallon bucket with the bottom 5 inches full of them. Also found a buffalo nickel 1936, there and one of the silver Claddaugh rings there.

Archived