a Labor of Love - Cremation Box

DAB

no one i knew directly.  but an uncle of a friend.

got panels for the top and bottom glued up this AM.  let them cure all night.

ordered a nice little name plate today, his name and birth and death dates.  

cremation service is 7/7.  i might have it done by then, depends on when the hardware and nameplate arrive.  biggest delay is letting the finish cure nicely.

that was quick.

went on Amazon to order a brass nameplate, got an order confirmation at 9:17am.  at 9:56am i got a shipping confirmation.  39 minutes from order placed to item shipped.  that's got to be a record.

maybe i'll get lucky and it'll arrive by the end of the week.  it doesn't have any nail/screw holes, so i'll have to make those and find some nice little screws to attach it to the box on the front.

it's 22 minutes to town, and i don't know if we do have a local engraving shop.  44 miles round trip is about 3 gallons of gas in my truck, which is about $9.  so any shipping less than that is a savings.

got the top and bottom pieces gluing up, so have to wait for that and for hardware anyway.

got the box glued up this AM, mahogany sides, maple bottom, maple corner splines (vertical).  once that is cured tomorrow, i'll work on the other corner splines (horizontal, 3 each corner).  next is the top (maple perimeter, mahogany center) and then the base (maple).  waiting for hinges and latch to arrive, hopefully early next week, nameplate too.  then have to apply finish, likely 3 coats of oil/poly mix.

Good job DAB and truly a labor of love. I have done many over the years for family and friends. I am not being critical, just curious why hinges and a latch. Mine were permanently closed after the ashes were inserted so no possibility of an accidental spill.

that's what they wanted.

got the hardware today.  well, mostly.

from Rockler:  hinges arrived just fine.  but the latch's little baggie was open, heard parts rattling around in the box.  opened things up, find the latch, the bezel, 2 of 4 screws.  hmmm..... missing the strike plate and 2 screws, and the KEYS!!!!  kind of important part there.  i could supply missing screws, but not the keys.  or strike plate.

tambour latch kit.

so i'll have to call monday and complain nicely and see what they suggest.

on a deadline with this, needs to be done by friday next week.  and i have 3 days of finishing that haven't happened yet.

looks like a road trip to Woodworkers Supply in Albuquerque to get a replacement monday, and then sort out with Rockler what to do with the worthless parts that i did get.

ARRGH.

7 minutes ago, Joeb41 said:

Good job DAB and truly a labor of love. I have done many over the years for family and friends. I am not being critical, just curious why hinges and a latch. Mine were permanently closed after the ashes were inserted so no possibility of an accidental spill.

i guess it could be glued shut.  i'll talk with them when they stop by.