Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Ron Altier

Smoke Detecters

I replaced all smoke alarms (5) in the house with new ones that have a 10 year battery in them. After 10 years the whole detecter should be replaced anyway due to smoke sensor life. I got all 5 at Home Depot for less than $100. Battery replacement for 5 smoke detecters each year for 10 years is about $100 too. Super easy to install. But now I no longer have to mess with them for 10 YEARS

You may be thinking, why 5. There were that many when we moved in here and are probably code. Like the 8 or 10 sewer vents that are required and on the roof of each house here. 

Edited by Ron Altier

when the original smoke detectors in my house started going bad i bought a box of all alike at one of the big box stores and replaced them as needed (just did one last week).   They are not only hard-wired in, but the basement, first floor, and 2nd floor are wired together - so if one goes off, they all go off.  I have another one in the garage which should have been hardwired into the others, but i don't think the electrician ran the extra wire.   I have always had propane (gas) and CO detectors in the house since i use propane for stove, dryer, water, and furnace.   Had to buy the originals from a covered wagon place as none of the box stores had them in stock the the first ones came from Canada.  I have also added one of the photo-electric models upstairs outside the bedrooms as an extra JIC.

Good move on replacing them although i question the 10 year business myself (even on the ones I bought).

Edited by p_toad