Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

How do the rest of you store your lathe tools?  I am looking for ideas and inspiration.  I don't have any more wall space available, so that is not an option.  I currently have them on a shelf which rests on the bottom part of my lathe, but that gets to be cumbersome, and I wind up laying my tools on my table saw that is right behind me when I am in the middle of a project.  I don't like that either, because it is too easy for them to roll off.  Thinking of some kind of a turntable or rack mounted to the end of my lathe, but I also don't want to block the bed in case I want to take the tail stock off and slide something else up there.  Rockler has a turntable that caught my eye, but it looks flimsy, and had some less than stellar reviews, but that is the basic direction I am leaning.  Ideas and pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Like you my wall is full and I was thinking of building more drawers to add into the ones already against the wall and use Kaizen foam with cut outs. Now as to the end of the lathe Idea I have a rack which sits on the cart I have my buffer and grinder on . This rack has the tools I am using currently on a project , although it is usually same tools--Thompson 5/8 bowl gouge, h Taylor 3/8 spindle, Thompson 3/8 detail, Thompson 3/4 skew and now a Taylor scraper modified to neg rake.

407311286_Lathetoolmobile.JPG.a76ad9eb32d5643feed90f1117d5187a.JPG

This pic is a little out of date as I have modified this with PVC to hold more tools.

I made a carousel type holder. My lathe sets on a table type stand so there was a place to put the holder. I have seen pictures of these attached to the end of the lathe bed, using a bracket.

IMG_3090.thumb.JPG.91e01a7d3db9d640b7933b70a57f2d6d.JPG

IMG_3097.thumb.JPG.01a60b57a6faffc16b1bf03bbd313cc2.JPG

IMG_3091.thumb.JPG.89fc7729149e53c4be657be0e44ead1b.JPG

IMG_3092.thumb.JPG.41046511ebfe1750459f3c2eeb6ce28e.JPG

I used a recycled lazy susan bearing for the swivel.

This picture is quite old and most of the light colored handled tools have been replaced with Easy Wood Tools.

Edited by lew

@lew and @Gerald, I might try a combination of both of your ideas.  I have a stand that serves as my sharpening station.  Grinder, Work Sharp, Drill Doctor, and other odds and ends.  I could put casters on it, a power strip, and add a couple of turntable racks on either side of the stand.  One would suffice for now, but that would leave room for more tools, never a bad thing, and balance the weight across the stand. 

@HandyDan, thanks for the input.  That rack looks like it could also be a music stand.  Are you also a musician?

1 hour ago, PostalTom said:

@HandyDan, thanks for the input.  That rack looks like it could also be a music stand.  Are you also a musician?

Nowhere near.  Tone deaf is a better description.  That is a shelf from an discarded refrigerator.  The idea was garnered from @Stick486

My turning area is quite small and I have a mini. After I insulated my walls, I installed tool storage shelves. The least used are up high, most used right in front and or at an arms reach. I lowered my lathe so I can sit when I turn. Standing tires my legs and back. It works out well.

IMG_4269.JPG