Spoiled?

kmealy

https://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/closets/beverly-hills-teen-gets-54k-custom-closet?ss=closets&utm_source=Real_Magnet&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=180607_CC&utm_content=CABINETS %26 CLOSETS&utm_campaign=Beverly Hills teen gets %2454K custom closet

Geez, the house I grew up in wasn't worth $54,000.  I shared a 30" wide closet with my brother and had three pair or shoes -- one for working in the barn and fields, one for school, and one for church.

On 6/7/2018 at 12:43 PM, kmealy said:

I shared a 30" wide closet with my brother and had three pair or shoes

@kmealy I just realized, you had a closet! I didn't even have that, just a bunch of door covered shelves where the gable roof sloped and met the floor. I shared the room with my seven year older sister until my father closed in a sun porch, split that in half and made her a bedroom of her own. That room became a den (TV room) when she graduated from high school and moved out. I didn't even have any heat to my room, and it got just a little chilly when it hit -20°+ in January with the ice build-up on the inside of the single pane windows. I finally got an electric blanket one Christmas.

Like you my shoes were limited. A pair of good sneakers for gym (the old pair for daily wear), a pair of work boots, and a pair of dress shoes, oh, and I finally got a pair of Sorrel Felt Pacs for winter, again, as a Christmas present. I considered myself lucky I had that.

No shelf full of sneakers costing several hundred dollars like this kid.

My father threw a fit when I went and got a pair of $13 Pro Keds for HS gym class. They lasted me for the entire four years and went to college with me.

6 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

this one does too...

"...As for his destination, Rotondo said he planned to spend the next week at an Airbnb in Syracuse. After that, he planned on moving in with a distant cousin. It was not immediately clear if he was going to look for his own place."

from what I saw on the various news shows about this whole thing, the problem with him getting his own place is....HE'D HAVE TO GET A JOB FIRST instead of sitting around playing video & on-line games...

How unfair is that? A 30 y/o man being expected to work and at least try to support himself.

Having not met the kid I can't weigh in on his character or level of maturity.  What one man sees as a ridiculously  over the top extravagance is to another man just the stuff one might do in the course of any given day.

If one has that kind of money  to spend on that sort of thing - - - - then - - - -  why not?

Archived