First Furniture Project

Bdavep

Good looking stool you made. That is on my to-do list too. How did you attach the legs to the seat?  I see you used pocket screws for the spreaders, did you do the same for the seat?  I have never thought of using them to attach a seat, but might work good they really hold good.

Good job for first furniture project.

Some tips,you might want to run a router around the seat and radius the edges a tad. Also I take my trim router and a 1/8" radius bit to the legs and rails, 1/4"- 1/2" radius on the seat.

Herb

Edited by Dadio

Well if you just wanted to leave it natural looking some wipe on poly or spay on from a "rattle can" like one of these; most also offer wipe/brush on versions of the spray. Since it's going to be in your shop, be sure to apply finish to the bottom of the legs to minimize moisture from wicking up the leg. Hope this helps a little...I'm sure others will chime in and hopefully our site finish guru @kmealy will offer some suggestions too.

image.png.dcf608410dd64c21eb54ae1abbd20be7.pngimage.png.40db81c904cf243fc94589c58df77522.pngimage.png.cddc5d5aa3a6a6dfe591fc3e95403ac4.pngimage.png.9ae6f6eedb25cfd2363778b23ebf643d.pngimage.png.5538f8f695991a46d2202cfda80843f7.pngimage.png.087682ed2c5fb719a1bc56fe10c46ec1.png  

Not sure what you mean by "crosours" 

I would agree with above comments.  It needs a finish or it's going to get dirty.  Round-over the sharp edges so there is not a single point of contact for bumps and so the finish does not pull away.   Spray or wipe-on seem to work best for things like chairs that have lots of concavities in the intersection of joints.  Shellac or varnish would work fine.

Nice job Bdavep.  I have a question for you.  What is a crosour?

Good to hear that this is your "first" furniture project, as that implies there will be more.  You are off to a terrific start.

As for a finish, I agree that is will be useful for practice purposes.  Keeping that in mind, what is your next project?  I would suggest that you give that some thought and the finish you might want to apply to that and use the same.  I have been mighty guilty in the past of spending a lot of time planning and building a project and then just reaching for the first can of Minwax on the shelf for a finish.

I looked up Crossours and after a lot of  searching it said they were a member at right angles to a verticle. But I also chalked it up to typenese, and figured it out as a cross or square frame under the seat to attach the legs. Not the common mortise and tenon.

@Bdavep

You will like the spray shellac, sand the nubs with 400g. between coats and it will give a nice finish. After you get used to it try some clear acrylic over it after the second coat. if it is a warm day, I give at least 2 coats a day.

Herb

• 2 weeks later...