MWTCA June 2018 'What's It' Project

No. 63 Low Angle Jack Plane Woodriver.jpgGrand Prize

We are proud to offer a Woodriver No. 62 Low Angle Jack Plane to this months "What's It" winner. This months "What's It" is sponsored by our supporter Woodcraft Supply.

Originally advertised as a plane for heavy stock removal across the grain, the No. 62 has found a home as a smoother and is quite popular among collectors. The WoodRiver® No. 62 is faithful to the original design, but is almost a full pound heavier at approximately 4.6 lbs. It features a body cast from ductile iron, with a bed angle of 12°, a bubinga tote and front knob, and a high-carbon steel blade with a 25° bevel. The plane measures a little less than 14" in length x 2-7/16" in width and has a 2"-wide blade. (Value $205.00)

"What's It" Basic Rules Reminder

(For a full run down on this project and rules please go to: "The Patriot Woodworker and MWTCA "What's It" project")

• Only Patriot Woodworker Members are eligible to participate and receive the award.
  • The MWTCA only accepts a verified source to support your answer, so one should be submitted with your answer, such as a patent, catalog entry, tool book reference, or a respectable website on the subject. Do not let these requirements prevent you from having fun and submitting educated answers on the subject without verification, we can worry about references later. All answers are welcome, as well as healthy debates regarding "What's It".
  • If a verified and referenced answer is not arrived at by the end of each month's "What's It" project, a random draw will be performed for a "One Year MWTCA Club Membership".
  • Only Patriot Woodworker's who participate in this "What's It" topic will be included in the random draw.

Ok ladies and gentlemen, we now have our June "What's it" live and ready!

The image(s) below is a MWTCA "What's It" image for you to research, and tell us all here in this topic post, just what the heck is it!

Project details

The information provided hereon is all the information that is provided, no further information on this item will be added.

Remember, "What's It" is not always woodworking related!

pic733.jpg

pic733a.jpg

11 minutes ago, steven newman said:

Could also be a Plasterer's scratch coat tool for curved surfaces.

I saw a tool listed on thestuccoguy.com, called a scratcher or scarifier, meant for a scratch coat on, I'm guessing, flat surfaces.  Looked like a fork with 24 tines.  I was thinking our tool could be used for the same purpose, but then realized the grooves appearing to go across the face were on the wrong face to roll on grooves to a flat surface of stucco, plaster, or etc.  Of course, I am thinking of the handle being repositioned to protrude from the other face.  But now, I think Steven's idea could work to roll grooves or scratches across a curved surface, such as a column, just as he said.

Are we sure these 2 pics are of the same item? The top pic is on a plain white sheet. The blade is slightly curved convex (curved away from the handle). The bottom pic is on a striped sheet and it is curved concave (curved towards the handle) and tapered in height.

39 minutes ago, ChuckJ said:

Are we sure these 2 pics are of the same item? The top pic is on a plain white sheet. The blade is slightly curved convex (curved away from the handle). The bottom pic is on a striped sheet and it is curved concave (curved towards the handle) and tapered in height.

The item tag #733 is the same Chuck, I think what we are seeing is the flash from the camera flooded the color and eliminated the stripes on the one image.

I say it is a vintage scraper and I am sure the was more than one manufacturer.  Here is one similar and notice the bolt on hand guard which could easily be missing over time. 

283front.jpg.74dddf17535a3547c88c3649119877c0.jpg

I am sure there was various blades offered for it too.

il_340x270.1236221436_88h0.jpg.9a41eb7e8d9ca0699d4af05816780723.jpg

Here is a link to a description of it.  Scroll halfway down the page and look for the picture and story.  It says the handle slips over the upper edge and is held in place by the nut.

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan14.htm

On 6/3/2018 at 5:19 PM, PostalTom said:

If that is a flat blade, it is one heck of an optical illusion.  Still looks curved to me.  Thing is, in relation to the handle, one picture looks like the blade is convex, and the other picture looks like it is concave. 

Even if the tag is the same, I can't get my mind wrapped around the 2 pictures, must be a distortion by the camera lense. One shows it convex,the other shows it concave, neither one shows it flat.

May look curved....but it is mainly just tapered, along both edges.....Wider on the left side, both the toothed AND the non-tooth edges taper down to the right side.

Look where you can see under the narrow end, light is coming through. 

May have been used by Plasterers, to do fluted details.    The straight edge to level the "mud" then flip over to do the flutes.