Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

A Village wide yard sale day was a bust..for me..the Boss found a few items....

Second try later in the day....one site had a few "water pump pliers" at a dollar each.   Since I can never find mine WHEN I need them..bought three...and gave a couple to my Daughter, since she is the one that swipes mine, anyway..

Hit a few more places....not much...where do they find all those clothes, anyway....

Found a spot...had a shed full of tools.....must be paying for the shed with the prices he was asking....found a $2 :o Chisel  hiding amongst the $10 ones..

1134209575_mushroomchisel.JPG.7172ddeb4bc89efcf4e9b59a49c95090.JPG

It IS an 1-1/2" wide chisel...stamped  DEFIANCE  by STANLEY  Made in USA

Another mushroom to clean up...and find a handle for....also in that shack/shed was a bucket of braces...8 or so..all overpriced..

Still carrying around that chisel, walked out back, to a "yard sale" area the fellow has....old tools and hardware, just sitting around on tables....exposed to any weather that comes along..

Found this trying to hide in a shady spot...

brace.jpg.ec2ee09a8cbed93f29c357b423c4320d.jpg

Handsome, ain't he?    Gave it a good drink oil 3in1 oil in all the moving joints ( like the Tin Man?)   and got things cleaned up..

Sanded the wooden handles, wire wheeled the metal areas....added a coat of stain to the dried out wood..

brothers.jpg.cc307a09226d40d62e6a371efc6821f6.jpg

Looked just like a slightly larger one I had...the larger one is a 10"...

1146316256_logo1.jpg.385e86ed2df52b122874d1bd7306c00a.jpg

"New one" is a Stanley No. 945, 8"

1704508667_logo2.jpg.accfb1f767590d1f19563fafd9375d60.jpg

Has Stanley stamped all over the place..

2145666607_logo3.jpg.4b8776b8aa4c82a0100ae19bfcf34a50.jpg

Even on the chuck.  As for that chisel..ground the mushroom down a bit..

935966025_logo4.jpg.9979ba411caf51dfdd3bb404a2bae758.jpg

Shined things up a bit, to where the logo will show up....DEFIANCE by STANLEY   No. 1251   Made in USA

May take a bit of work, to get it cleaned up..

back.jpg.b5ab569ca83f1ecab6244fdc3144a1f2.jpg

Look close at the edge...see it "frown"    there is also a slight bevel there...

875341611_doublebevel.jpg.4671aee92b7b6d495474861cd5ab96dc.jpg

And this side has a double bevel ( chin?) and you can see the frown better..

need a bucket of water, and a day at the grinder, maybe...and find a leather-hooped handle for it...

Not a great day, but, not too bad?   The brace?   Cost me a whopping $4:rolleyes:

You did all right...chisel is going to take a bit or work, but that size, socketed and a Definance is worth the price. You'll have it paring shavings so thin you can't see them I'm sure.:P

Nice find on the brace especially at that price and in the condition. I saw at a 1/2 dozen today with so much rust on them I couldn't read anything even using my phone flashlight...cheapest was $5 up to $10...not sure I would have give $10 for all of them...way to much work.

Drilled out the wooden plug, and the lip the mushroom made.....tuned up a handle blank to fit..and gave it a coat of Golden Oak stain..

367318308_newhandle.jpg.c5a6438e37ec8bf3ff0db39626483b14.jpg

Still need to resharpen the edge..until then, it can sit with the rest of the crew...

stashed.jpg.2408e95cdc3ca4e2e780e64bd1e545c1.jpg

Along with Lew's Mallet:rolleyes:

Ya' did that old Stanley proud. Handle is a perfect match and fit for it too. If only that old chisel could tell it's stories. Another great tool rescue by the Buckeye Bandit:P

I've see a few like that Cresent but never paid much attention to be honest; from the way the striking heads were always mushroomed, I blew them off as some sort of old mason's chisel...really never bothered to look further. Guess I better going forward.

A mystery about that old plane....sometime in the distant past, some owner had replaced the type 2 frog with a one by Ohio Tool Co.....everything else on the plane, except for the front handle and bolt, is a type 2 Sargent #408.   Handle is Rosewood.  Logo on the iron is from 1901 era....

Just an $8 number 3 sized plane, may just sharpen it up, and use it.    IF it had been complete, it would have been worth a LOT more....oh well....

2 hours ago, steven newman said:

number 3 sized plane, may just sharpen it up, and use it.    IF it had been complete, it would have been worth a LOT more....oh well....

Even so, a No. 3 of any "flavor" is still a good find at least around here especially a 1901 era...lot of stories behind that.

No doubt you'll have it rolling curls like it was new.

Another great save!

Gave 10.00 for a #5 Stanley Bailey plane that needs some tender loving care. Was that way too much to give for it?

I have noticed that Sargent planes are climbing in price recently. I have one and find it to be as good as a Stanley to use.

Good jack planes run from $10 up to way too much....depending on how much the seller watches Ebay.....

Sargent planes seem to pass through the shop.....can't seem to keep  them around very long.....This one may stick around a while...

Not much going on, figured I could sharpen the Sargent iron up..

shavings.jpg.e697ebf30f5a1d5954d1edf0a9a314cb.jpg

Not too bad?

413185783_rehabdone.jpg.318cae677e8bff7f204c3311fad705a6.jpg

Set a tad deep...seems to work...shined things up a bit.   Have another plane, about the same age...

1585389940_3and4.jpg.0e60f4e8a179aaf4fff09ca887eb3022.jpg

Stanley #4, Type 10, and the Sargent #408, type 2....with an Ohio Tool Co. frog.  Strange thing is, both planes cost the same amount

$8......

I knew you'd have it peeling curls in no time.

Out of curiosity (and still a "plane grasshopper":P) did you put any camber on the Sargent blade or is it a straight edge?

I think I remember reading you sharpened to 30o. Correct?

6 minutes ago, steven newman said:

Straight edge, ground to 25 degrees

That Crescent chisel was ground to 35 degrees.

Well then I guessed the average of the two correct.:P Come to think of it, I think it's my Dunlap block plane sharpened to 30o...story for another time.:lol:

OK, STILL June, and yet another Village-wide Yard Sale event....off to the home of Airstream....

saws.jpg.e365b557fb274f89f3fa110d39817fb5.jpg

Hinges were from a sale before we even got to Jackson Center....$1 a pack.   $0.10 on the coping saw ( had a new price tag on the other side of the handle...4" x 24" backsaw was$1.75..I think... Came across the REMAINS of a mitre box the saw would have fit....too much wrong with it, too many parts were gone....

BESSEY.jpg.a73c46c8ae8ca882bc7e19502e96f248.jpg

Picked this 1/2" x 36" BESSEY pipe clamp for $4 and..

Hargrave.jpg.c0eeac7548c489cdc09f817f39ed89b1.jpg

A Hargrave #600 pipe clamp with a 4' long 3/4" pipe installed....also $4....but..there was something else at that sale..kept pulling me back..

499475645_plane1.jpg.00d34d0fb9fa82d90b135f7e85ffc39c.jpg

Finally asked how much...$4....ok, I think I can handle that...

2106035171_Plane2.jpg.a3894f7a55faac746096929124ecf0db.jpg

Millers Falls No. 900 "V" Line....same size as a Stanley #4

Boss wanted to head over to Sidney.....skimpy sales there...meh.    Did get an oil change for the van, though. 

Wasn't too bad of a day....

Backsaw is straight as can be, and SHARP.    Have since added a 6" blade to the Craftsman ( Atkins?) coping saw....have already cleaned the cutter in the plane...

Was a busy day...

9 minutes ago, steven newman said:

Millers Falls No. 900 "V" Line....same size as a Stanley #4

Doesn't look like it's hardly been used...still has paint on the frog...

You hit it out of the park today. All good stuff.

Too stinking hot here today to venture out...I mowed instead...

Looks like new...I'd say it is a keeper.