Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
RustyFN

New Shop Storage

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, lew said:

Nice idea. I hate my shelves but there is so little space in my shop that shelves seem to be the only logical answer.

YEARS AGO DECIDED TO BUILD SOME DRAWWEERRSS ONE HAD SANDPAPER, NOTHERN SCREWS,, THEN SMALL c=CLAMPS, THEN NAILS,, aint been to sorry yet. Cya

20 hours ago, RustyFN said:

I have two rows done, 16 bins. It looks like I will have a little more storage but best of all better storage. No more boxes of stuff to look through. All I have to do is reach in a bin.

20180601_182915.jpg

20180601_182901.jpg

8 hours ago, Cal said:

Looks good Rusty.  I have a few boxes similar to these.  Unfortunately they fill up with sawdust and I have to dump them out to find whatever I think might be in them!

no problem:  just cut a hole in the bottom of the box to let the dust out....oh, wait, the contents may not stay put.....on second thought, ignore me..... :)

8 hours ago, Cal said:

Looks good Rusty.  I have a few boxes similar to these.  Unfortunately they fill up with sawdust and I have to dump them out to find whatever I think might be in them!

That would be my problem, too.  Most of my stuff is in drawers or boxes with lids in cabinets

11 hours ago, Cal said:

I am thinking I will be ok. I don't do any cutting at that end of the bench.

I find that shelves, in some cases, are a waste of time. Even if you store on the shelves, smaller items are usually in a container of some sort. Bins are certainly a good way to go. However, there are some other alternatives. Lately, I have been using:

To organize small parts I have started using these...

1406266950_Storage1.jpg.e398df6cf52ac7ac287ff0b2f6e7c82d.jpg  489909672_Storage3.jpg.8cdc08673e26233128c9bad928595edd.jpg  955338895_Storage2.thumb.jpg.49316c01fd6374fc59df537db64ba165.jpg

These are one of the very few things I buy at HF. They make it easy to store and transport small items. If purchased at the right time they are very cheap, do a good job and are fairly durable. They stack extremely well. I labeled the handles (for now) with blue painters tape with the contents of the containers. Once I am happy with the organizations I will apply a more permanent label using white melamine 3/4 edging. It is visible will take and hold a permanent marker ink, and is erasable with alcohol if it needs to be relabeled. If the containers are stacked I know which one contains what I want. The less used one go to the bottom ( picture hangers, wall anchors, etc. ). An alternative, store them side by side and label the edge and (yes) put them on an overhead shelf.

AKRO bins are a great alternative. They are cheap and durable. They come in just about any size that you could want and are light.

Like shelving, I find overhead wall cabinets are a real waste. Unless they have pull out shelves you are constantly moving/removing items to get things in the back. In this case @Stick486 has a good solution, which he has posted photos of in the past. Shallow enclosed shelves with sliding panel doors that have additional hook storage on the outside.

There is no one solutions for everyone. However, storage is always an issue (for everyone) and why re-invent the wheel on an individual basis! Offering your solutions may same someone else the time, trouble, and expense of doing what you found that didn't work.