Must Have Tools ?

Gerald

2 hours ago, HandyDan said:

The Wolfcraft drilling guide caught my eye.  I would use the proper drill bits for the hole size though.

Ya, I noticed that. Seemed like a sloppy fit. And what's with the "benchtop planner'? I've got a planer, but the planner is ME! :rolleyes:

John

6 minutes ago, Ol Buck said:

AT'S LIKE NAILS FER THA WEST END OF A HOUSE????????

I always buy equal amounts of nails with heads on opposite sides...saves confusion:rolleyes:;

It does get a little more expensive when you have to buy the North & South headed nails though;) Must be because of that whole magnetic North thing:P

Nice tools...!   I have some of them...couple are DIY...

Ultimate Doweling Jig...gotta go !  $600+...WHAT...! ! !

Dowel Press...gotta go...if it made dowels longer than 6", maybe...

I have the Worx jig/sawsall...love it...light, compact, great for tight spots, cuts straight...

I friend just got a dowel machine from another friend who got it when a lumberyard went out of business 20+ years ago.  It's pretty cool.   Blades are sort of a flattened "U" shape in different radii.  Feed the square stock in from one end and the blades rotate via a motor, cutting off the outside and hand feed from there.   Need to be careful as a third friend got some 2nd degree abrasion burns when it started spinning the square stock he was feeding.   IIRC it was made in Nova Scotia.

There's a couple of commercial dowel mfrs here in town, but they don't offer tours.   One bought McFeeley's a couple of years ago.

Sometimes I think Woodpeckers is trying to  be the red jig and hand tool equivalent of Festool.  I don't understand the economics of "one time tools" that need engineering, design,testing, prototyping, patents, machine set up, and promotion for a limited run.

Edited by kmealy

21 minutes ago, kmealy said:

I don't understand the economics of "one time tools" that need engineering, design,testing, prototyping, patents, machine set up, and promotion for a limited run.

Nope, me either except much high end user cost & profit directed specifically to a minority of "must have" collector/owners...end result, minimal inventory on a shelf.

GM only made limited run of this year's Indy 500 Pace Car Corvettes too, but they pretty much sold them out. Commanded a premium price; limited market, but that market is willing to pay the price.

Woodpeckers has some cool stuff and appears to be high quality but with their price point, they limit who will buy.