Homemade Hybrids

Jay

Sogot a wild hair up my. donkey. First time ive ever even thought about this. Combine fly tying with woodworking. Lure #1 balsa bass frog bobber. Hand cut, carved and painted. (My painting needs work, have to find all my detail brushes.) Any tips, tricks, advise or criticism? If ya tell me its junk idk i have thick skin hahaha

20180518_194833.jpg

20180518_194851.jpg

16 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

FWIW Jay, looks pretty good to me...

Far more patience and better eyesight than me too.

Ty grandpa dave! How are you as well? I was actually pretty pleased how it turned out. And patience, hahaha no way! Its a zone out for me and eyesight.... my god my glasses get thicker by the year. Pretty soon all ill need is a couple of coke bottles hahahaha

5 minutes ago, It Was Al B said:

I've had the benefit of watching a fly tying pro while he was at work.  It's quite an art.

I LOVE to watch. Got a crash intro in alaska with operation heal our patriots. Been tying for about a year now and if you say irt you can call me picaso lmao. But that it is. I make some that i dont even wanna put in the water lol

36 minutes ago, lew said:

Here's some other ideas-https://www.woodturningonline.com/projects.php?catid=120

Just looked at the link..... what i wouldnt give. Thatll have to wait though. Even a harbor freight lathe setup is to pricey lol by hand it is. Thankfully balsa is supper soft so i can have at it with a razor knife and a bastad file. Then put hardener on it before completing. But a lathe would bee a hell of alot easier bwahahaha

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

How are you as well? I was actually pretty pleased how it turned out.

Doing well Jay; thank-you for asking...hope things are well for you also...good to have you posting again.

And you should be proud of how it turned out...looks fine to me, but as I told you, my eyesight isn't great.:lol:

Ya' did good...and if you enjoy it, well that's all that really matters.

12 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Doing well Jay; thank-you for asking...hope things are well for you also...good to have you posting again.

And you should be proud of how it turned out...looks fine to me, but as I told you, my eyesight isn't great.:lol:

Ya' did good...and if you enjoy it, well that's all that really matters.

Very true gandpa dave! But, with my ocd and pefectionism, no matter how good i am (get) can always be better

And theyre goin. Having a cold war at home. Wife took off w kids. Prob ebtter that way. Devolped dystonia for the second time became toxic and darn near ate it. Was hospitalized for lil over a week and now have tests out the ying yang commin up. They also want to do a week long admit to monotor seizure activty by eeg 24/7. But now theyve screwed my beds so bad im about to move out and possibly check in to a 6 month ptsd live in program. But its the VA so idk how i feel about they. I kid you not, ive almost died 3 times due to them screwin up my meds and puttin new and takin old and etc...  but that said, if it gets bad enough im going to sign myself in to ment health and see if they can finish screwing with my meds there. 

29 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Jay, glad to see your posts. That fly looks great. 

I added a tag to your post. If you can add more to help folks who may want to know more about fly tying, please do.

As i make em i deff will!

24 minutes ago, Dadio said:

It looks good to me and if I was a bass i would sure go after it. Have you tried out any of you lures yet? that is the fun part too when a big ole lunker gloms onto a lure you have made. Fly fishing  used to be one of my passions.

Herb

Hey herb! Ty and not yet. First one. Started this morn only took about an hr or so but the whole rest of the day has been paint. Hot and humid here takes forever to dry

7 hours ago, Stick486 said:

what's wrong w/ it...

the fish won't care....

a few pile and you'll never recognize it...

I think it's pretty cool the way it is...

Ty much stick. Idunno with the knocks to my noggin ive takin i always ask now. But then again i did the same thing when i first started bendin wrenches on helos. And idc if it looks phalic, as long as it catches firsh thats what matters. Just tested in sink an she floats high in water.