Lowe's Snags Craftsman Tools

I just stopped at our local Sears store to pick up a vacuum filter. It's a big two story with automotive. I think I was the only customer in the entire store. 

Sears has been in a race to the bottom for years. Never understood why the hook up with K-Mart. Two losers can't make a winner. Someone else buying the right to use the Craftsman name must be hoping for the ill-informed to buy the stuff. 

1 hour ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

Now that's a statement I've not heard in a long, long, time. But I'm sure there are still folks who equate the Craftsman tools of today with the ones from several decades ago.

I frequent several online auction sites and look at tools, etc.   Often there is an auction that is page after page of all Craftsman power tools. Pass.

51 minutes ago, Larry Schweitzer said:

I just stopped at our local Sears store to pick up a vacuum filter. It's a big two story with automotive. I think I was the only customer in the entire store. 

Visited a huge Sears anchor store at a big mall. Banners and window signs advertised 50-75% off sale. Mid morning. Less the 10 people in there. A number of them were Sears employees. 

Yes, the Sears store in the mall near one of my daughters closed out a couple of years ago.   I went to see if there were any tools (wrenches, etc.) that might be really marked down.   Markdowns were usually 10% -- could get better prices at Black Friday or Christmas sales.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

In 2018, Sears was the 31st-largest retailer in the United States. After several years of declining sales, its parent company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on October 15, 2018.Sears announced on January 16, 2019 that it had won its bankruptcy auction and would shrink and remain open with 425 stores.

The new Sears plans to close 96 stores under its namesake and Kmart banners by February, with liquidation sales starting in December, the company said in a statement.

That will leave the retailer with a total of 182 Sears and Kmart stores. "We will continue to evaluate our Sears and Kmart footprint, consistent with our overall retail and service strategy," the company (Transform Holdco) said.

Sears also announced it received $250 million in new financing from the company's owner, Eddie Lampert and his ESL Investments hedge fund, along with another unnamed party.