Sliding Router Table Upgrade

Dadio

2 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

Can you explain to the crowd what the plastic bushings are for. Now remember, the wife won't approve if you say for braggin rights..

The plastic bushings are the same ones that the bits come in the little square boxes,3/4" O.D. X 1/2" hole or 1/4" hole. I saved the ones that came with the bits, so basically recycling them and bought new ones from CMT to fill out with. They come in 10 ea. packs for a couple of bucks.

Sure I could have drilled  1/2" & 1/4" holes, but that is too low tech.:lol::lol:

HErb

9 hours ago, Cliff said:

wow.   Just wow.  That's really great. 

I got a question. How do you like that MLCS slider?  Any slop or chatter? got any pics of the bearing carriage ?

I just took a fast look, Cliff, it seems that there is an extrusion inside an extrusion. There is no bearings that I can see right now. no slop, slides very smooth, I lubed it with dry lube and it just glides,but does not override the push.

Here are some pictures, I will look at it tomorrow and see if there is more to it.

Herb

IMG_6884.JPG

IMG_6885.JPG

IMG_6887.JPG

IMG_6888.JPG

On 5/16/2018 at 10:42 AM, Cliff said:

wow.   Just wow.  That's really great. 

I got a question. How do you like that MLCS slider?  Any slop or chatter? got any pics of the bearing carriage ?

Cliff, I took off the sliding table and looked at the slides and ,Nope, no guide bearings. It sure slides niocely and no slop at all. her are the pictures.
herb

IMG_6890.JPG

IMG_6891.JPG

IMG_6892.JPG

9 minutes ago, Dadio said:

Nope, no guide bearings. It sure slides niocely and no slop at all.

That's pretty impressive then to do that w/o bearings, "nylon" glides or some other type of support mechanism. Must be some type of anodized aluminum alloy that is resistant to scuffing, abrasion from friction and so on.

Obviously machined to fairly tight tolerances as well.

Thanks for taking time to dis-assemble and share the pictures. 

32 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Might try rubbing with some pure paraffin if you still have it apart...doesn't sound like it really needs it, but can't hurt either. 

It is back together, but only takes a second to slide it all the way off. I will have to see if I can find a paraffin stick. Wonder if a Carnuba stick would work?

Herb

Edited by Dadio

3 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

might mar a finish possibly???

not likely...

that stuff is in better furniture wax and buffed/polished out is some really serious kind of hard...

Johnson's paste wax for your tables and tools...

You can add Briwax, Black Bison, Behlen, Trewax and Mohawk to the list of acceptable waxes...

If they contain Carnauba wax they will finish harder and be longer wearing/lasting...

You can even add more Carnauba if you want...

http://www.parkbeekeeping.com/products/detail/carnauba-wax

Wax applied to a warm surface is a big plus...

Mechanical polishing over hand buffing is way better.. (elcheapo car buffer or a wool bonnet on your ROS)...

Polishing is what makes the wax work to it's fullest...

More polishing.. Better results...