Just Puttering Around In The Shop.

The "Plan" today was...walk to the shop, pick up a utility knife to replace a screen with, and walk back out.....that WAS the plan....

While down there, dodging a Bumble Bee....got the rest of the holes squared away....except for one. 

trivet.jpg.dd574728d53555afcb797a4eff2c9cf3.jpg

Will leave it round, so this can be hung up on a peg.   Was going to put that brace away..

brace.jpg.3ce3c7143f7bf0c2901b069f00afd898.jpg

But the ratchet parts were stuck.    Cleaned and WD40'd until everything works.  That bit?

bit.jpg.4f73811639eff1d1025e02e1e0123bc8.jpg

Is a MINTY Craftsman #13 (13/16") that seems to cut like it was brand new....may have to keep it around...

As for Mr. Bumble Bee....did not go too well for him.    Was try to make a "nest" in what little hair I have on my head..

1178951999_beepile.jpg.8747ea6c5fb791cac861d5f5afaf27b1.jpg

That big black dot?   That is what is left of the bee.   Need to haul the trash can back down to the shop....Have some sweepings to get rid of.

Finish on a trivet?   Have no idea.....first trivet I have ever made...any ideas?

2 hours ago, steven newman said:

Finish on a trivet?   Have no idea.....first trivet I have ever made...any ideas?

If you are going to use it for hot pans, I'd treat it the same way as a cutting board.  No film finish will stand up.   Mineral oil, refreshed as needed.  Buy it at a local drug store or drug department (used as a laxative).  If you want, you can put in in a double boiler and shave in some paraffin.  Melt it, apply warm and let it cool.  Scuff off any wax on the surfaces.

5 hours ago, steven newman said:

While down there, dodging a Bumble Bee

Badminton racket is the tool of choice here for Bumblebees; honey bees, I try to co-exist and give them space or help them back outdoors.

got the rest of the holes squared away.

:lol::D:lol:...no pun intended, right?

Was try to make a "nest" in what little hair I have on my head..

I resemble that remark...wear a hat; helps keep the sunburn at bay too.:D

Now about the trivet...Very cool...I like it...very creative design too! As for the finish, @kmealy's advice is the path I'd follow...

I should have stayed IN the shop, today.....would have been a lot safer..

Kitchen window screen needed new screen material....cat had torn the old one up

68207346_fixascreen.jpg.78fc780588c668d63b3dfbe8aa30dc8c.jpg

Had a section of "Pet-proof" stuff roughly cut to size....so far, so good, right..

spline.jpg.03892af90ae670e2f7efa030cc046876.jpg

Until it came time to let this spline roll out of the plastic bag....

2139151949_guiltyparty.jpg.a24eb12ed83320136bf9e0b912d8fadf.jpg

That blue thing was handy, had used it to cut the screen to size....sliced the bag open....

538029507_bandaidsandtape.jpg.5c31e580a460d743a76173e3cf8031a6.jpg

Seems I sliced off the tip of my finger at the same time....all H breaks loose..used about 8 of those bandaids trying to stop the leak....finally used the black tape.  It also kept the normal bandaids in place...

.1296228885_badfinger.jpg.f0f085465b71ea5146642fa39b915d6a.jpg

Once things had settled down..I went back and installed the spline, and installed the screen back into the window.  

Finger  kept  getting achy.....finally walked the 5 blocks over to the ER and had them check it out....As soon as my wrappings came off ( they even said I did a great job!) the leak began again...took two tubes of that "Super Glue" they use as stitches..before the leak would stop....they also said the fingernail will go back.  X-ray showed I did MISS the tip of the bone, and a wire was found IN the finger ( ???).....Got all cleaned up, got my paperwork, and walked back home...

Just one of those days...I also took a screw and hung the Trivet up in the Kitchen...

Well Stubby:rolleyes:, good to know you're no worse for the wear but glad you did seek professional medical treatment for the finger vs DIY Tim-The-Tool-time-Taylor fix.:D Anyway glad you're OK. Just keep it clean. If you got some old gloves, cut the finger off one and gently wrap at the lower end...can't pick your nose that way.:P

As for today's picking, you scored for a buck and a quarter...Is that little ratcheting screwdriver a Stanley-Handyman, Craftsman or M-F? Regardless the bit is worth what you spent...all the rest is cake & icing!

I saw one similar not to long ago for $20...must have got it 'cause it's gone...The ratchet wrench is $3-$5 if it works, no teeth missing and if a Mac, Snap-on or even a Craftsman at least double that...

So to sum it up as some other sites often recognize...You Suck!:lol::lol:

Edited by Grandpadave52

Stanley handyman No. 133H. 

Wrench is marked as...Taiwan..not a tooth missing.

Other screwdriver is a hex drive bit holder....

Wrench is for 1/2" and 9/16".  

Just missed a Skil worm drive for $10.....win some, lose some...

A town near here, nick-named  "Russel-Tucky" has Village wide yard sales tomorrow.....

Edited by steven newman