MWTCA May 2018 'What's It' Project

Two items for sure, both for the same purpose, just a different design. I am seeing the handle in each, appears to be welded to the frame, when did we start welding? Doing a little research on that end, the earliest welding took place in the mid 1800's, so this piece could not have been made before that time.

Note forge welding has been around for a while look at the old muskets made from flatstock and welded in round. Note the wear pattern around the chain attachment to wood. No wear at the top but there is wear on lower side so maybe extensions on chains will go under the wood to attach to peg on the opposite side. I think one of these the original and the second a copy.

I was reading the article Lew put up and I am changing my vote to his idea.  Champagne bottle rack.  In the article they show disgorging of the yeast from tje bottles and they sit like this.

z-IMGP1944.JPG.b275e78d573dd781c0e44f508229d2e4.JPG

I can see these old Champagne bottles with the divot in the bottom sitting on the peg and the loop from the chain holding it at that angle while the yeast bubbles off.

Vilmart-Champagne_Bottles-Aging.jpg.5f89b2ce0b9a5515bb37a38cab1b6f99.jpg

I'm saying winner winner chicken dinner for Lew.

I like the Champagne bottle one too. I would talk this one out still, I would also like to encourage Lew to come up with some irrefutable evidence so at the end of the month we can submit Lew's answer with references, and Lew can walk away with a brand new Woodriver Low Angle Jack! MWTCA are the folks we need to convince, you don't have to convince me.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a lot of debate on the internet about.  It has been discussed extensively over the years and no direct conclusion has evolved.  Here is how I feel it was used.

jAiuUYZ.jpg.453b7c7b71bd32a5953d7019c8863f80.jpg

Used with bottles like this with the bottles uncapped in a process called disgorging.

winetonicbase.jpg.da366d4cbcca8db8c06390b132e0529b.jpg

Ends up looking like this.  This is a drawing I found on the net by unknown author.

AtYKNxp.jpg.13e99b8ee59fbd87fd26d5fb1723be06.jpg

We have a 1 year MWTCA Membership winner!

An acceptable answer with references was not provided this month. So to a random draw we went as we awarded the 1 calendar year MWTCA Membership.

Winner

We'd like to announce @lew as our random winner for the month of May "What's It". Lew's name was drawn from our official TPW ball cap of the contributors who participated in MWTCA's What's It for the month of December!

Congrats Lew!

Contact

Lew, please PM me with your shipping address, phone number, and spouses name (if applicable) and we'll get an MWTCA membership out to you asap, along with all the benefits of being a member of this great organization.

Thank you all for your participation!