How Flat Does A Small Table Top Have To Be?

I'm building a small couch tray table out of Red Oak.  The top is 3/4" thick and measures 14 3/4" X 24 3/4".  I made the top by gluing up 3 boards.  The top is not dead flat. If I lay a straight edge across it I can see light in a few spots.  I've been sanding to try and get the high spots down.  I don't have a planer or wide sander.  I loaned my belt sander and it hasn't been returned.  I have a random orbit sander but don't think this will do it for me.  There aren't any woodworking close by.  I'm going to stain and use an oil based poly on it.  I've used poly quite a bit and I'm wondering if the self leveling process will help make the top flat?  

Hello Jim

I agree with John. The only requirements for flatness are function and your own appeal. If the slight rises don't affect usability and appearance, then you can let it go. Or, you can attempt to scrape out the rises just for the practice. Your choice.

hat

1 hour ago, PeteM said:

You can also top it with a piece of glass with flex buttons under.

I had thought about a glass top because the 2 end tables have glass tops.  I have an old piece of glass from one of the end tables and I just placed it on this table to see how it would sit.  Nice and flat...no rocking.  Glass top will mean less coats of poly.   

• 4 weeks later...