Does The World Really Need This?

kmealy

Seems like most everything nowadays is linked to a smartphone.  I mean, really, does one need to be able to open your garage door, start your coffee, turn on your lights, order your groceries from your phone?   Well, I'm looking at an LED lightbulb with a day-night sensor.  OK, that makes sense to fit into an existing exterior outlet.  Along with description is "IntelliBulbs require no additional smart home hardware or apps"

Signed, guy with a flip phone, but only because I need it for business.

I was at a meeting a few weeks ago and the subject came up.   All 4 of us there pulled out our flip phones and said we loved them.  There a few times where a smart phone would be helpful when I'm out -- mostly finding addresses, traffic problems or phone numbers.   Otherwise, I don't need to pre-order my coffee  before I get there.  I don't consider myself a Luddite -- I spent 30 years working on cutting edge software  before changing careers.

I'm on my second Smart phone in the past seven years. I'd still be using the first one if a new battery didn't cost 1/2+  of the replacement phone..that and the OS & software became so outdated it couldn't be updated. My replacement was an AT&T "Go Phone" which is compatible with our service...It was $99 including a 2 yr replacement plan plus tax. It serves as my camera (good enough for my purposes) as well as my main contact point device for family/friends. I've installed a Weather APP which also serves as a NWS Radio for Storm alerts.

I also use for searches to find addresses/locations when out (only time GPS is on). At home it's connected to the wireless and I use it often in the same manner as my tablet; handy in the garage to bring up You-tube, search for parts, repair tips/specs etc. I'd be lost w/o the calendar feature which provides me reminders.

I also have APPS for the girls various sports and other activities since that's how the schools/coaches communicate. Both girls have had phones (also AT&T go phones but with more affordable non AT&T services) since they were 8th graders. Almost a necessity when they have away events that I can't attend. Keeps me in touch when an event is over, check points along the return trip so I know when to go to the school to pick them up as well as which daily bus (normal or late) they will be riding after school depending on activities.

I do not use any form of Social Media (on any device) except for a few forums. I do access email both home account and Gmail from the phone as/when needed. I have on a rare occasion logged in here with my phone.

I guess I could have summed it all...it's my portable, hand held computer...easier to carry around than the laptop I toted for years. I too missed my flip phone(s) at first but would hate to go back now.

6 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Forgot to mention...I can go to H-F, pull up coupons on my phone and they can scan directly from the screen...a real time saver:P

I can clip a coupon, hand it to the cashier, and save $1500 on a smart phone!

5 hours ago, Dadio said:

Now we are getting someplace for justifying a smart phone.

Herb

See above.

John

Well if you had a coupon to get 1500 bucks off of the most expensive i Phone, you would still have to come up with 

7,998,500.00 to complete the purchase so hey, thats not saving a whole lot in the rich mans world... I think its called the Diamond Rose i Phone 32GB. It does seem like a very plain name for that much money!!

3 hours ago, HARO50 said:

I can clip a coupon, hand it to the cashier, and save $1500 on a smart phone!

Not sure where you buy your SMART phones:o...I can buy a new one every year for the next 15 years that does pretty much everything a $1500 one does:P; certainly everything I want to do and probably more if I knew how.:lol:

Edited by Grandpadave52