2 hours ago, Dadio said:

tried the sawzall

Last time i got a couple of steel barrels and wanted to cut the heads out I used my Ridgid sawzall (used to use my B&D jigsaw) and (believe it or not) a nice new HF metal blade.   Zipped those babies right out and when i was done the only change was the paint on the saw blade was worn away from the friction.   Blade seemed sharp as new.

2 hours ago, p_toad said:

Last time i got a couple of steel barrels and wanted to cut the heads out I used my Ridgid sawzall (used to use my B&D jigsaw) and (believe it or not) a nice new HF metal blade.   Zipped those babies right out and when i was done the only change was the paint on the saw blade was worn away from the friction.   Blade seemed sharp as new.

Use a right angle grinder on top of the rim until you see a line between the two pieces of metal that make up the lip.  The top will pop out and leave a nice smooth edge.

4 minutes ago, HandyDan said:

Use a right angle grinder on top of the rim until you see a line between the two pieces of metal that make up the lip.  The top will pop out and leave a nice smooth edge.

I was always told to fill the barrel with water before I cut the top off, is that a Myth?

Like all of you advised, to register the tools with Ridgid,

I did register them yesterday and got a confirmation back last night. a whole wad of paperwork to file away and hopefully never have to look for again.

It is easy to register, just takes time and a lot of numbers to type (8 items X 2 no.+ P.O.#), all 7-14 digits long. and then they make you check them twice, Whew, my one finger was numb when I got through.

Herb

13 minutes ago, HandyDan said:

I would have thought about it, but there was still a small amount of oily residue in them and the saw made it smooth enough for a fire barrel without sparklies.  :lol:

59 minutes ago, HandyDan said:

Aw come on.  Where is your sense of adventure?  You are making a "burn" barrel.

Mine was for flushing the OB motor. But maybe the sawblade does not cause enough sparks, I used a hammer and cold chisel. but I still filled it with water, like my Dad had taught me. He used an acetylene torch.

Herb

• 4 weeks later...

Dan I agree with the using the grinder, especially if a person will working in and out of the barrel like when wife kicks me out of the house and says go sleep in the barrel... or when I built a kids thingy to crawl from one little play room to another up in the tree..but then we lost one kid and the other one didn't want to play anymore.