Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
steven newman

Dungeon Remodel. The Drill Til Project

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, steven newman said:

Tracked the culprits down...still had shavings in them..

Can't trust those tools alone down there for a second...no telling what they might have done if you hadn't turned on the lights.:ph34r:

Original boxes, for a couple of my block planes, and..

That just doubled the value of those planes from what I've seen. How cool is this whole clean-up thing...all sorts of good pick finds and they're already paid for and you don't have to leave the house 'er shop. :DThink I'll give that a try if it ever gets to 50o or more.

Just a couple Walnut scraps....be a shame to burn these two....

Yep...I'd be hanging on to them too.

Edited by Grandpadave52

6 loads to the Firepit!     found a framing square and another try square in the mess...

Didn't have any thing to "roast" over the firepit....or anything to hold the hotdogs with....down to embers now.....tomorrow, I can haul another batch out...weather permitting.  

Tried a bit of rehab on that OLD plough plane.....made down in Cincinnati, OH back in the 60s......1860s that is.    Tote was snapped off, might add a #5 tote for now.    Needs a LONG screw to hold it.   Going to take quite a bit of rehab.....may wait on it.    Maybe I can start cutting finger joints for a box build?  

Right now?   It is Gin & Tonic on ice time....stay tuned

1 hour ago, steven newman said:

It is Gin & Tonic on ice time....stay tuned

I detect the channel may be a bit fuzzy now....remember in B&W days when the picture would ghost over itself, then flutter a little bit?

Yeah kinda like that now...:rolleyes:;)

I guess that's OK though as long as the Test Pattern and long beep tone don't come on and stay on:lol:

Edited by Grandpadave52

19 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

remember in B&W days

Remember "we control the vertical - we control the horizontal" and you actually had to  get up and mess with the controls anyway since they lost both of those so easily?

49 minutes ago, steven newman said:

having to use a "rotor"  to turn the antennae up on the roof to just the right direction, to pick up a signal? BTDT...

We had a 2 story house with probably a 10/12 pitch so we had a pole that ran down the side of the house...one of us boys had to go out and rotate the pole while someone else yelled out the window "more, more, back OK RIGHT THERE!"...always would forget the limit of the 75 ohm cable slack. :o

Also remember watching the test pattern till broadcasting started

Wow look at all that space for more tools

Great job with the shop clean-up Steve. Now you have more room, and a few more tools that had  disappeared over time.:D

Holy cow Steven...you'll need to build a new tool cabinet for all the treasures you've found on this scavenger hunt:P

Good thing you've freed up all this extra space too with the new yard/garage sale season about to open. Who knows what treasures are waiting to be found.

Top of the Shop dresser needs cleared off..sometime...have something to sit there..

5ad4ea4cde3a6_toolbox.jpg.b1661cc6e67422361863b889ea9ae192.jpg

All the loose clutter can then be stashed into a drawer.   Need to go to the store....shop needs a dustpan, and a "Foxtail" broom....to help clean things up. 

Have started that Pine  project....getting two sides ready for finger joints.  Road trips are a normal Monday thing around here, I'll keep my eyes open...

Need to make out a shopping list for today...and see what I can find.   Film @ 2300hrs.....names may need to be changed..

On 4/11/2018 at 10:42 PM, Grandpadave52 said:

Good thing you've freed up all this extra space too with the new yard/garage sale season about to open. Who knows what treasures are waiting to be found.

Well, now we're beginning to get a more clear picture.:lol:

Film @ 2300hrs.....names may need to be changed..

Be here...no names changes though please...it's hard enough to keep track now.:huh:

Computer and Internet  issues....yep, it is Monday.:angry:...took until Tuesday to get things fixed. :unsure:

5ad59088e4aa6_cleaningsupplies.jpg.1c9788fa8719912f37932f9e6b9a749a.jpg

In the midst of all the running around today...these two items came home.    Along with a pack of sanding belts.  Have plans for the belts..

the Trade-in block plane even made some shavings:o

5ad5914ceff33_blockplane.jpg.b051d388477a01dbe3afdc0ec4616996.jpg

Need to also joint a couple edges for the Pine project.    Made it easier to square at least one end of the long side pieces...haven't figured out how long they need to be..YET:rolleyes:

Couple of errands run..sneak back to the shop, BEFORE the next runs...old plough plane was getting in my way...parts were getting pushed around...decided to make their replacements..

wedges.jpg.146d9c4f9265c444442317a181036c23.jpg

New wedges, made from scraps of Walnut.    Arms from the fence are "locked" in place via a couple  wedges.   I also made a new wedge for the cutter.  Still need a bit of fine tuning. 

Fence was ....shot..

fence.jpg.9d668ed1e1cb43071bc5818475275fd3.jpg

I did have a piece of Ash that might work..

5ad593f94041c_newfence.jpg.78c0cbb13a47d90135f64e75d5872334.jpg

Needed a bit of plane work, though.    Planed the edges straight, planed the blank flat..or at least close...the split on the old fence finally gave way..

broke.jpg.da1b62f52c4256d0bfd7733961d3cec9.jpg

I could use the chunk to check the size of the blank's thickness....That screw is from about...1860...about time to retire it?

rebate.jpg.641fad7e45be4c8a1b34407d2c99c672.jpg

Forgot how mean Ash is to plane...worse that Oak.   The screw is there, because I got tired of chasing the blank around.   Wards #78 did most of this work. 

The thick piece od Maple I found during the clean up?   Drew a few lines on it.....bandsawed close to those lines...then went back and marked for thickness, and ripped about 3/16" off the side.  Then had to plane the part to final thickness, and get it flat....the part?

5ad59621a9f84_Mapletote.jpg.9843d2dc1c74cc5db275bc8fcfce0327.jpg

It is thick along the bottom edge, because it fits into a mortise in the plane's body.   Know you know why I bought the sanding belts. 

Got home from yet more running around...had to fix the computer issues, and then the internet issues....even had to go to Wall E World again..and by a remote for the new monitor/TV.   Grandson sent the monitor home..without any way to turn it on...not a single button to be found:angry:

Then,while he was installing a new mouse..he lost the wireless plug-in for the keyboard...Found that....got things all up and running...then the Modem decides to take a break...:o:angry:

Finally got going....had these pictures to process...Then do the write-ups.

The old plough does make a shaving, though..

5ad5982617762_ploughshaving.jpg.5fd2d97c8d094f12f33455f842532f39.jpg

Just needs the rest to be fixed up. 

Visit to the Lung Doctor tuesday afternoon ( COPD)  other than that?   We'll see...

A little shop time, before the Lung Doctor's visit ( refilled the inhalers,....see ya in 3 months) meant I could at least shape the handle a bit..

5ad666fc21b07_shapedhandle.jpg.d7c56ee9903b22216784ae68009d4b46.jpg

No fancy tools...just the "Dragster" belt sander ( has a small front roller) and the palm sander...test fitted until it DID fit..

5ad66771007ed_testfit.jpg.46dbc0e177cca31143a1d48c4e60110a.jpg

Snug, but not too tight.   Used to be a dovetail joint the handle would slide into.    Well, that was about all worn away.    May add a screw through the toe of the handle...and a healthy coat of glue.

One of the posts that connects the rods to the fence had cracked and broke off...cleaned it up, and re-glued it..

5ad6684250908_glueup.jpg.062785d802e495a33b5e8931afb0e309.jpg

I also drilled and countersunk the new fence for the screws to attach to the rods...

drilled.jpg.85a7baf53fb30824a6b0e82e8a3a14b2.jpg

But the old screws will get retired..

5ad668c01570c_nopoint.jpg.4ab5e4068492d17231c952a082745445.jpg

Yep, they were made without a point way back then.....bought a pack of #10 screws to replace them. 

Hmmm....Maple handle, Ash fence, Walnut wedges..body of the plane is Beech....should be fun to do a finish....Have a little bit of Golden Oak left over, and the Amber shellac...Hmmm.

IF you look closely beside the old screw...you might see a track left by the plough plane...as I was testing the wedge for the 1/4" cutter... may need to hone the cutter a might?

Stay tuned...

53 minutes ago, steven newman said:

A little shop time, before the Lung Doctor's visit ( refilled the inhalers,....see ya in 3 months)

Well that's pretty good news anyways.:)

Sweet job on the handle as well as the rest of this plane. Enjoying seeing it returned to life.

Not sure IF this is ready for the "Gallery" , yet...but...

5ad68470319bf_sideview.jpg.5a80b942368e5eaaa71cb79fe7ed07db.jpg

Went with a screw through the handle....don't trust just glue in this spot.  

5ad684c5757f9_rearview.jpg.4e27fcf1b76ee0e09add0aa89d6dd427.jpg

Fence's arms are locked into place with a wedge.   To loosen, you tap on the rounded end to slide it in.   Tighten by driving the square end in.  Tapered wedge, tapered slot.

Set about a 1/4" in...there is no depth stop.    Shavings curl up, and out the right hand side..

grooved.jpg.851ec25b5671a382511379382798c088.jpg

Makes some nice curlies..

shavings.jpg.369b2cf2cb69a134e1d171ceae7ee455.jpg

Might get another coat or two....Golden Oak stain, and Amber Shellac.

Wanted to get this off the bench, before the smaller parts started to walk away. 

Now, MAYBE..I can start on a box build.....?

6 minutes ago, steven newman said:

Not sure IF this is ready for the "Gallery" , yet...but...

But what??? OK, I'll let you get a couple more coats on before you post before & after pics in the gallery!:P

Holy cow man, you have just resurrected something most folks would have tossed or spray painted and put on a shelf.

You returned this into a working piece of art...Kudos and well done!!