Definitely not cheap on some of the things. Good prices on some and some way overpriced.

I didn't realize that I had hundreds of dollars worth of hand planes and saws until I saw some of these.

I appraised the straight razor that is listed (I collect Barbarina and have over 500 razors in my collection) using the last published appraisal guide for razors ( Standard Guide to Razors, second edition, R. Ritchie and R. Stewart). The $100 Holtzapffel, horn handled, w/ case in my opinion appraises at: ($9 base price, with black horn handle +200% ($18), no artwork +$0, in collectable condition +100%, + near mint original box +$10-15)

add 10-15% appreciation over last published prices for the razor and it comes out to ~$18 + 15%= $20.70 + $10-15= ~$31-36. The box in that condition is actually more desirable than the razor. So, as a collectable it is a common razor and not very desirable. ( I have several in as good or better condition and paid around $10 for them).

All in all a really impressive collection of tools, some I have never seen or ever new existed. I can only imagine what his personal collection must look like.

Perhaps, some may appear overpriced, but you have to realize what goes behind the staging of these tools. As in any business, Jim Bode carries overhead. The tools don't jump on that website page all by themselves. Having read about Jim Bode throughout the years and becoming more familiar with how he operates through reading about him via the MWTCA, here is how the tools get to the point that we can just click, and buy.

• Jim travels to yard sales for many of his tool finds (fuel, time, automobile depreciation, insurance etc)
  • Jim also travels the world to find many of his unique tools (air fare, time, lodging, food etc)
  • Jim also cleans the tools before staging them (time and equipment)
  • Jim travels our own country to tool swaps and meets (travel costs, time etc)
  • Jim researches and evaluates the tools (time)
  • Jim also maintains the website and spends a ton of time keeping it in order and up to date, I can truly appreciate the time he spends maintaining his web presence through the many social media outlets he inhabits to keep his brand live, believe me I know! :D

Not picking on you at all Bill, I just wanted to remind folks why tools that are ready to buy, from the comfort of your desktop or armchair, by clicking on the item you want and have it shipped without you spending a whole day to go yard sale shopping and cleaning up the tool for use, may seem high priced at times, but we do pay for the convenience.

This business is Jim and his wife's main occupation, they do nothing else, they do this for a living, it costs money to live!

Also, if you do some research, and compare the woodworking tools to a comparable tool by Lie Nielsen, you are indeed getting a great deal.

But I get it, they may seem high, I agree, but we can also remember the time and effort it takes for a man or woman to make a profit in the collectable and usable tools resale industry.

I loved your break down of the razor Bill! Thanks for the lesson!

It wasn't meant as any type of criticism only an observation from my point of view. I fully understand the effort it takes to find, clean, and present the items. I have been there and walked and drove many miles, from garage sales and flea market booths to find things. Prices are a subjective things and are only worth what someone is willing to pay. Knowledge is power as in the case of the straight razor. I would not pay $100 for a common razor, but someone might. If he gets that price more power to him.

For the person who acquires from the armchair, the prices may be reasonable. In my case, I love the hunt and the restoration/refurbishment time to put a fine old tool back into service. My Disstons may not have completely legible or perfect etches, but I'll assure you, when I am done they are clean, straight, sharp and properly set. I have never paid more than $10-15 for any of them. Would I ever pay $125 for a D-8 or D10? Most assuredly not! Are they worth $125, maybe to someone else.

Bode's website is a joy to look at...I saw tools that I never new existed. It makes me wonder how many tools I have overlooked over the years not knowing what they were used to accomplish. 

Also, most people forget one thing..."just because it is old, doesn't mean that it is worth anything". Again, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Managing a business like this is a difficult task. As a reseller you almost have to purchase at 50% of market price, charge 100% and allow for a negotiable discount. Sometimes the profit margin is very slim. It IS a lot of work. Bode's site is well presented and it is obvious that a lot of work went into it.

Thanks for publishing the link, John. I HAVE bookmarked it and I'll be using it as a reference source.

2 minutes ago, schnewj said:

It wasn't meant as any type of criticism

Most certainly didn't see it that way, my information was just a little reminder what it takes (knowing full well you are aware of it) to run a business and the markup needed to put food on the table.

Your post just landed in my cross hairs is all:lol:, it could have been anybody.

I wish I had the time to go to yard sales, reality for me is, I don't. So I greatly appreciate the tools that are there, for me, at the click of a PayPal button.:)

Just now, John Morris said:

Most certainly didn't see it that way, my information was just a little reminder what it takes (knowing full well you are aware of it) to run a business and the markup needed to put food on the table.

Your post just landed in my cross hairs is all:lol:, it could have been anybody.

I wish I had the time to go to yard sales, reality for me is, I don't. So I greatly appreciate the tools that are there, for me, at the click of a PayPal button.:)

:lol: :lol:  :lol: ...so, you need any planes, saws, try squares... :D

1 minute ago, steven newman said:

Just imagine what my little collection would bring.......

Yard sale season around here starts in about two weeks, or so.   Until then, there are a couple places I happen to know about......

Steve, you could be the next big online seller, you'd have a customer in me! Think about it, what a cool way to make extra income with your retirement?

Was selling on FEE-Bay for quite a while....got tired of all the fees they charge.:angry:   Used it to sell tools I didn't use/like/want...to buy a few tools I did use/like/want.:o

I could even bring a clothes basket full of such tools to the gatherings this year..:ph34r:...only to bring back a load of other items...I tend to be "bad" about that..:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, steven newman said:

Was selling on FEE-Bay for quite a while....got tired of all the fees they charge

I don't blame you, thus the reason why you'd have to open up your own website, it's simple to do, but, it does take time and may not be in your wheelhouse. Jim Bode used to sell on Ebay too, but he closed it up and opened up his own website, probably for the same reason you stated.

If there was enough interest, we could actually open up an classifieds section in our community for you all to sell and take payments, a small percent or flat rate for TPW? Why support Ebay when you could support a great woodworking community like ours?

We could have it all categorized, hand tools, machinery, cnc, etc etc, you post your images and descriptions, and post your price, the transaction is handled completely by you all and the buyer, and a percentage or the flat rate fee is auto deducted to our coffers, to use for our projects and to help offset the costs of running this joint.

We would close down the classifieds forum, and open up a store for you all to sell.

Hmmm,

Can't blame him for dumping Fleece Bay. I shake my head every time I see a USED tool selling for more then it can be purchased new. Look at some of the Veritas tools if you want an example. If some people were just patient Lee Valley ships for free every couple of months. It sure beat those $10-20 shipping charges. By the time you buy used and pay shipping you're at retail with free shipping.

I have made offers on "buy it now" that were more than fair for used tools and you would have thought that I had insulted the seller. I feel for them, by the time they processes the order, wrap and ship the boxes and PAY the eBay fees there goes the profit. eBay is the only winner here.

17 minutes ago, John Morris said:

If there was enough interest, we could actually open up an classifieds section in our community for you all to sell and take payments, a small percent or flat rate for TPW? Why support Ebay when you could support a great woodworking community like ours?

We could have it all categorized, hand tools, machinery, cnc, etc etc, you post your images and descriptions, and post your price, the transaction is handled completely by you all and the buyer, and a percentage or the flat rate fee is auto deducted to our coffers, to use for our projects and to help offset the costs of running this joint.

We would close down the classifieds forum, and open up a store for you all to sell.

Hmmm,

Maybe that's not a bad idea. I would rather see the site make the fee. Since there would be no time constraints, like the eBay bidding process, it would be more relaxed. I don't sell because of the hassle and the time it takes. I have literally gotten away from the hunt because of personal obligations taking up all of my time. However, I could pare down my storage space by dumping unneeded/unwanted finds.

We all have acquisitions that are no longer wanted: tools, materials, whatever. I would rather see a member get an unneeded plane or other tools to use then leaving it packed away and being forgotten about.

Hey, it doesn't just have to be a store front. It can be used to post the wants/needs; like that #4 Irwin auger that is missing from my set, or those missing Goodell Pratt bits missing from my father's Miller Falls push drill. We all end up with bits and snatches of stuff that we don't use...maybe someone else has that one thing that you want/need. A store front might be a good way to help the membership find what they desire.

7 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

Selling anything on line, or otherwise, takes time and effort. Not to mention knowledge and money. All of which means I'll be keeping my tools. Well, except for that jointer...which I don't seem to be able to even give away.

If you bring it to the summer get together, that could be motivation for others to attend. One lucky member gets to bring home a jointer!