3 hours ago, kmealy said:

I kept wondering what he was thinking when he picked up that 90th, 91st, 92nd set of C-Clamps - either "I don't have enough" or "I can't find them in all the junk."

Maybe Alzheimer's? "Can't remember if I have enough.  I get some since I'm since the price is right while I'm here".

• 1 year later...
19 minutes ago, CharlieL said:

My experience with cheap clamps, such as the HF's is that they do not stay put when tightening,

I have had a few that gave me trouble over the years.  

20 minutes ago, CharlieL said:

never buy anything less

I am all about getting good solid clamps, but this money thing.  I am on like a diet lowfat beer budget.  :throbbinghead:

The only clamps that I have kept from HF are the F style that are 30" to 36" long.  I have some bar clamps that are 30" long but I really don't like them.  They tend to arch shewing the glue job.  My preference for a bar clamp is nothing over 18".  For those I prefer Bessy clamps.  I do have some C-clamps from HF that work fine.  I put all the squeezies out by the curb and somebody had a field day once.  I was happy to see them go and the person who picked them up was happy to have something for free.  Well, they crept like scope creep.  Worthless to me.  I prefer something that stays in place, not move the wood or the glue job.  But, I have to operate on a budget of a retired civil service.  It's not all that much, but as long as the food budget is priority, we do alright.  I had a friend to give me about 12 30" bar clamps.  I'm going to cut them down so that they work better.  Lots of rust to clean off before they can be used again.  In the meantime, I check CL or Lowe's sales or HD.  Ugh.  HD and their automated check outs.  

2 minutes ago, FlGatorwood said:

I have some bar clamps that are 30" long but I really don't like them.  They tend to arch shewing the glue job.

I got given several of these from HF one Christmas.  Once I inserted a wooden stiffner inside they work great.  Used some pallet wood glued together.  Cheap fix but works well.  Also, fit the budget because I have yet to win the lottery.  As @steven newman might say, "stay tuned!"

9 hours ago, CharlieL said:

My experience with cheap clamps, such as the HF's is that they do not stay put when tightening, they like to walk around. I got rid of the ones I had and will never buy anything less then Pony's, IRWIN'S, etc.

I think this is a common problems with most cheaper hollow end clamps. Notice the harbor freight from the Jorgensen? To correct this problem and to protect the work I have to put bottle caps ends on to protect and relieve the twisting action. It’s not perfect but I learned  to get a little bit straighter and have less runoff when clamping. 

583113FA-D23F-4EE9-ACCA-B23286FA2DD8.jpeg

A6FFABD7-BF5E-494B-B849-9885DA5DB9AA.jpeg