Lathe in Reverse?

PostalTom

I was wandering around our local tool store, and they had several lathes that had a reversing switch.  Why would you want to run your lathe so that it's rotation is reversed to normal?  My best guess is that if the grain direction is such that it generates a lot of catches and rough surfaces, you might want to move around to the other side of the lathe, and want a rotation that works for that.  Is that right, or am I missing something.

Lots of turners sand in reverse, or rather, forward, then reverse, forward, reverse, etc. etc. Reverse can also be beneficial to a lefty, which I am. If I'm not mistaken when outboard turning on lathes without a sliding headstock it's also done in reverse. There is one item I make, my mason jar honey dippers, that I make a cut in reverse every time. It's the cut from the center to rounding over the rim. I just get a better cut and a better finish reversing and doing a push cut away from my body.

Dave Schweitzer at Dway tools sells hollowing tools that are designed to work with the lathe reversed. That way a person is not leaning out over the ways when hollowing and it's easier to see the cut.

Steve

Edited by Steve Krumanaker

3 hours ago, RustyFN said:

I like your tops. What are you using for the centers?

Rusty, I have a metal lathe and took some metal rod and turned them for this project.  The part that goes into the plastic decking material is turned to .260 so it is a press fit into a quarter inch hole.

DSC02124.JPG.ddee74a7cda982cecca587c73554c0a2.JPG

DSC02130.JPG.505996d1868283da5144bc2bca5c8d30.JPG

DSC02085.JPG.630843c90b9a1ccac98b0a86fc88e119.JPG

There is a hole drilled through the shaft for the string.

Edited by HandyDan