Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Cliff

vacuum sysstem in up and running

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Cliff said:

Which union did you use? some are quite pricey.

Where did you find the LH tap?

Herb

Edited by Dadio

I got one that is made for coolant  through the spindle of a machine. the  model is 55-000-002-030  I don't know whether they still make it.  Pretty much any coupling should do they are all intended to seal.

The LH pipe tap was a bit of a reach.  I'll loan mine if ya need one but only for use on brass or alum not steel.

Nice plumbing and hardware, but I would rearrange things a bit.  I didn't see a filter, but the system should have one as close to the rotary union as physically possible because there will be an amazing amount of dust that comes through the pores in the wood, especially when sanding.  The vacuum gauge should also be physically located adjacent to the filter by a short nipple (on the pump side of the filter) because we want to measure the vacuum as close to the chuck as possible.  The current location of the gauge is measuring pump vacuum.  I wasn't sure that I saw the bleed valve although I saw something between the gauge and the rotary union.  If that is the case, the gauge won't be reading the actual vacuum at the chuck.  The optimum location of the bleed valve would be close to the vacuum pump.

no dryer either...

Howdy!

Job well done 

19 hours ago, Stick486 said:

no dryer either...

Dryer is not usually used on a vaccum setup for lathe because the air is exhausted and not used to spray anything

On 3/19/2018 at 3:29 PM, Billy B said:

amazing amount of dust that comes through the pores in the wood, especially when sandin

That's something I hadn't considered.  I actually have a filter but didn't include it because I have the reserve and only contemplated solid objects in the line as a hazard to the pump and the reserve tank would trap them effectively.

The gauge is on the working end of the line & there's about 25 feet of  one inch pipe  between the gauge and the pump.  And because of the  pipe size; so long as there is  a sufficiently closed system the  various regimes  across the system souldn't vary more than a  millimeter of mercury here and there. I used to design and build vac systems that operated at 3 or 4 times ten to the negative  14 Torr.  Nobody uses Torr any more.

On 3/19/2018 at 4:41 PM, Stick486 said:

no dryer either...

Hell I'm not going to install a $600  dryer on my air supply let alone a vacuum where it won't do anything.   I am planning an after cooler ( not a dryer ) for my compressed air.  That'll drop maybe 70% of the water out if I'm lucky ( good enough for air tools) but a dryer is a refrigerator and a pack of sensors that adjust the chill to a  controlled dew point to both drop the water out and prevent icing.  There are solid media dryers that absorb the water but those either have to be changed regularly or heated and off gassed to refresh them.  In our hobby shops people  traditionally become concerned over water because of Sprayed finishes and  rust in tools but today the water based finishes are way less susceptible to a little water in the lines.

Edited by Cliff

Where I worked (power plant) we used that very pump (at least it looks like it) we had several of them and they worked really well, maintained a steady vacuum and seemed to last forever. I know the one I used to calibrate instrumentation was 30+ years old and was still  working fine