Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Tags are now required for all content items in our community. We appreciate your participation and patience as we work through this new requirement for topics, gallery images, blogs, and more. This is an exciting resource for all our members to use, with one click on a tag, you can see articles, topics and all our content that is similarly tagged the same. Please read Tagging Your Content for instructions on how to use our tagging system.

Rate this topic

I've used hide glue before to make some small boxes with no stress on the joints when finished. This project there may be some stress on them and I don't want them coming apart.

The reason I used it before is the long open time so I can get all the sides and joints adjusted.

Is this a good choice or should I use the normal Titebond?

9 minutes ago, lew said:

Titebond III has a little longer open time. I think Titebond also makes an extend time glue but not certain about that.

I saw Titebond II extended at Woodcraft the other day

I agree with Lew. I use TB III for all my boxes and never have a problem with open time. However, I recommend that you do a dry fit, including setting clamps, before applying glue. Make any necessary corrections, then glue and clamp. I made a glue-up jig that holds 2 sides at 90 degrees while the other 2 sides mate up. Makers the whole process much easier to control.

I've done a couple of dry fits and everything looks ok.

I have a couple of 90 degree clamps I'll dig out to help me along and I do have a fresh bottle of TBIII I'll use.

Like all have said before, I'll post pictures when it's done.

Thanks for the in-put.

I use Titebond II extened for everything, never had a failure, and if you break a joint it takes wood with it.

I use Titebond II panel glue for veneering,(the brown colored). it has good open time.

Herb

Edited by Dadio

19 minutes ago, Smallpatch said:

I use Elmer's, I'm partial to the cow. Been using it for many years.

Good ole Borden's  Elmers, that was the standard glue for commercial carper work for many,many years, until they were bumped by Franklins TB.

Herb

1 hour ago, Smallpatch said:

I use Elmer's, I'm partial to the cow. Been using it for many years.

1 hour ago, Dadio said:

Good ole Borden's  Elmers, that was the standard glue for commercial carper work for many,many years, until they were bumped by Franklins TB.

Herb

Ever ponder if the milk & the glue came out of the same vat?;)

image.png.d01de731995ed7a69aecbd73b7df2f2a.png ---- image.png.0bb5bb4e58551836b8ac4999d4dc6540.png

I find titebond 111 works well when making glue-ups on bandsaw boxes. I have used regular titebond 11 but found that I really have to move  to complete the glue-up.

look to Weldbond...

longer open time and stronger than strong...

https://www.speedyproducts.com/pages/weldbond-specs-instructions

Edited by Stick486

1 hour ago, Cliff said:

I've used hide but it is a PITA

I can still remember my dad using hide glue and always having to warm it up before use; and it stunk!. :blink:  (or, to borrow a phrase from The Critic - IT STINKS!")