Hello, 

My grandfather gave me all of his wood turning tools that he brought with him from overseas before moving to the greatest country, America. I’m wanting to fix up the wood lathe. Do you guys have any 1hp+ motor(s) suggestions? I have even noticed folks using motors from other types of equipment to run lathe. I’m hoping to stick around $200 range.

thank you! 

I remember Germany's electric motors run on 50 cycle. I brought a reel to reel tape recorder, player back with me when I was over there and playing some of the stuff I recorded over there, running it on 60 cycle here made everything sound weird.. Been a long time ago and I might have the cycles reversed.... I do that some...

If its electric motors from overseas maybe they can up the cycles for here.

15 minutes ago, Smallpatch said:

I remember Germany's electric motors run on 50 cycle. I brought a reel to reel tape recorder, player back with me when I was over there and playing some of the stuff I recorded over there, running it on 60 cycle here made everything sound weird.. Been a long time ago and I might have the cycles reversed.... I do that some...

If its electric motors from overseas maybe they can up the cycles for here.

That is funny, I thought the 50 Hz. was 220V, were you plugged into the range or dryer circuit?

Herb

The first place I plugged it in was the fire station in to a regular receptacle in the rec room. Was not 220. then later after I bought a house I used all the plugs in the house which was 110. I was told  after checking someone Germany's current came shooting out at 50 cycles and maybe theirs was 120 instead of 110??? like I said its been 60 years since I came back from Germany....Yes I could google Germany and see what they had back then...Another thing ,, I never seen a round door knob all the time I was over there...Was such a good idea, we have no round door knobs in our house now..

Herb check out Germany for me, I'm lazy.

17 minutes ago, Smallpatch said:

The first place I plugged it in was the fire station in to a regular receptacle in the rec room. Was not 220. then later after I bought a house I used all the plugs in the house which was 110. I was told  after checking someone Germany's current came shooting out at 50 cycles and maybe theirs was 120 instead of 110??? like I said its been 60 years since I came back from Germany....Yes I could google Germany and see what they had back then...Another thing ,, I never seen a round door knob all the time I was over there...Was such a good idea, we have no round door knobs in our house now..

Herb check out Germany for me, I'm lazy.

Germany is 230v 50 Hz, I didn't realize there were so many different combinations and plugs.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/world-electricity-guide.html

Herb

I bought a 1.5 hp. from Harbor Freight for $169 on my band saw, then had to buy a pulley as the new motor has a Metric shaft, and my old pulley would not fit.

I had put a riser block in the band saw and wanted to increase the HP. from 1 to 1.5 hp. and put it on 220v.

Herb

Edited by Dadio

When shopping for an electric motor its good to take the bolt pattern, shaft size, rotation direction, if it is not reversible, and very important, if it has ball bearings or sleeves.  I have noticed Dayton supplies lots of their motors with sleeves. Not good for continues s running. And sometimes its good to have an AC-DC motor for certain applications. Or use to be... In my garage saleing, number one on the list has always been keep an eye on used electric motors for sale...To me, it is always cheaper to buy an electric motor when you don't need it...And almost any bolt pattern can be adapted if a person has a welder, drill press and some common sense..

1 hour ago, Smallpatch said:

When shopping for an electric motor its good to take the bolt pattern, shaft size, rotation direction, if it is not reversible, and very important, if it has ball bearings or sleeves.  I have noticed Dayton supplies lots of their motors with sleeves. Not good for continues s running. And sometimes its good to have an AC-DC motor for certain applications. Or use to be... In my garage saleing, number one on the list has always been keep an eye on used electric motors for sale...To me, it is always cheaper to buy an electric motor when you don't need it...And almost any bolt pattern can be adapted if a person has a welder, drill press and some common sense..

Don't forget the RPM's,and voltage, other wise all what you said.

Herb

Also the people selling a used motor will always let you plug it in so you can listen to it run, if they won't, don't even think of buying it no matter how cheap.  A loud ball bearing is not a big deal, for bearings can be bought at a bearing supply. And even if a person thinks it might be over his head to change the bearings, a motor repair place might change them out while you wait..They will also replace a capacitor while you wait. Three or four years ago it cost about 20 bucks. This is something an electric motor usually needs when it just sits there and won't start running.

Garage sales are a good place to start looking..And always carry a list of things you might be looking for while browsing...