first extended use og my generator

Cliff

We lost power.  Lines down all over the state. I'm guessing it'll be days before we get power back.  I'm glad now I spent the $$$ for a genny.  Lights heat and water really make a difference.  I'm learning the limits of my genny.  It's a 6500 Honda EU.  So it does electronics  safely but no water heater and no large multi loads like well water and dishwasher together.   Can't run two large dehumidifiers in my shop while also ruing other things.   Oh well I hadn't planned any Welding projects  so I guess I'm golden.   

Beware the ides of march~!!

spring is almost here

Glad your doing OK, Cliff...been there and done that...

After Katrina I went for four weeks...it's amazing how you learn to do without. My priorities were: well pump, refrigerator, lights and a small window AC in the Master BR at night. The fridge and the AC ran through the night, the fridge got cooled down again at mid day and the well pump run as needed. Gasoline was there but hard to get because nobody could power the pumps.

Keep warm.

it was 10 days no power from Sandy that finally drove me to get a genny.  The little Genny is really pretty good.  Tonight we decided to see if it'd run the dryer.  It did.    Tomorrow I plan to see if it can run my 80 gallon water heater.

Interestingly the genny actually  informed me that I had to look for a wiring fault.   You might remember that I posted about getting shockked by a neutral line that was energized in a 120 vac circuit.  Well  when I had the genney plugged into the house a while back for the first few times it coughed and ran erratically until I de energized that circuit.  I didn't know it at the time but there was a wiring fault that I later found the hard way.  So if you have occasion to have one of those inverter gennys  on a system and it runs funny   there may be issues worth looking into 

After an ice storm that knocked out power, about 10 years ago, I got the Honda 2000 watt inverter generator. We live in a town house and anything permanently wired is against our rules. Also needs to be very quiet, so as to not get any complaints from those without. This gives us hot water, heat, and a refrigerator. Water and sewer are town, so no worries there, and we cook on the grill. Doesn’t sound like much, but going without all those amenities during the ice storm was difficult. The Missus and son, went to her mothers. I stayed home (well I went to work during the day) and kept the cats alive. I don’t think I want to be without my electricity in a box for the rest of my life. Hope you get your power back on soon Cliff.

18 hours ago, Cliff said:

well  if ya get  10 or so days with no power  that may change

I lost over $800 worth of frozen and other perishable food. At the price of food 10 years later it would probably be over a $1000 in today's money. So, it is just not the convenience of being able to turn on a light or have a hot shower, or even having water to heat for the shower.

Still generating my own.  Here's the rub.  The trucks & Crews came.  Did repairs all over the place and left.  That was Sunday.

Lots  of folks all around  us have power.

there are 6 or so houses around me with none. 

The utility crew FORGOT to close the fuse breakers that blew when the lines came down.

So the fuses are open.

I called the power co  Sunday monday, & tuesday,  ya only get some girl who can only put you on a list.

But it seems that the report from the crew squashed my calls.  They are not taking me seriously.

Then Spoke to a guy in a power co truck who came by to see if  there really was a power outage, (apparently they didn't believe me on the phone)  and today a couple guys came by in a van to ask  again if I really did not have power.   Meanwhile the breakers are just hanging open for anyone  to look at and see.

Well So long as I can get gas I can make power.

Archived