Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Steve Krumanaker

Rotary laser update, short video.

Rate this topic

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

Steve Krumanaker -
Steve Krumanaker -

Top Posters

This is  a piece for the project that lead to me first considering if I could build something like this to begin with. A rough guess would put this at probably 3 or 4 years from idea to this point. The rings will be for a project I've wanted to do for a long time but just didn't like any of the available options for the lettering. My hand wood burning skills are not up to the task for sure. Anyway, my plan is to make several of the project for Grand kid Christmas presents this year, each one will take six identical rings. That means I'll need close to 50 of these rings made. The one in the machine is a test/setup piece. The little laser is doing exactly what I envisioned.

You may notice the "A" looks blurry, that's because I re targeted the laser to center the script. Now, I have a benchmark and subsequent rings will be right. The rings are about 2 1/2" in diameter and the burn area is 1/2" wide. Has everyone figured out what is the project?

Steve

Edited by Steve Krumanaker
typo

28 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

That is one wild piece of equipment. Boggles my mind how you got it all built and coordinated. 

My guess is either a decoder or a combination lock.

Gene, the simple truth is, I couldn't have, not without the help of some members of the benboxlaser.us forum. Guys much smarter than I and fortunately, generously willing to share their knowledge and expertise. I should also mention, they also have the patience of Job to help someone who didn't really have a clue what they were doing. You are very close with your guess, think "Davinci Code"

Steve

IDK...it's an "Enigma" to me. Flux capacitor control ring?:lol:

Not sure if you changed camera's from the last video or not, but the brightness level of the laser seemed much more intense; of course I cleaned my glasses today too so...

4 hours ago, Steve Krumanaker said:

to help someone who didn't really have a clue what they were doing.

Sorry Steve, I 'ain't buying it;) You're selling yourself way, way short...just to envision what you've created takes far more than a clue. I'm amazed every time I see one of your videos using this.

1 hour ago, Gene Howe said:

Steve, did you get the T2 laser program? I couldn't get mine to work without it. 

What power is your laser? 

Gene, I do use T2 laser, it's a great program I think. I actually bought it to run an eleksmaker 2.5watt A3 and if I hadn't found  the forum and T2 I would probably have written the machine off as a bad investment.  I couldn't get mine to work  with the benbox software either. I've heard there is a better version now but T2 is what I will continue to use. It was a pleasant surprise to learn that T2 has a rotary feature that's pretty intuitive so that made learning to use this machine easier than it may have been. The laser on this machine is a 3.5watt TTL, banggood had them on sale a few months ago so I picked one up.

Steve

Edited by Steve Krumanaker

7 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

IDK...it's an "Enigma" to me. Flux capacitor control ring?:lol:

Not sure if you changed camera's from the last video or not, but the brightness level of the laser seemed much more intense; of course I cleaned my glasses today too so...

Sorry Steve, I 'ain't buying it;) You're selling yourself way, way short...just to envision what you've created takes far more than a clue. I'm amazed every time I see one of your videos using this.

Hi Dave, you flatter me.

I did understand about X and Y axis and I knew how the chassis would work, it is based loosely on the eggbot design. These machines and the CNC routers are simple in operation. Calibrating and initial setup are not so simple and that's where I didn't have the knowledge or smarts to figure it out. It's an amazing time we live in, a person can get help in a matter of minutes when learning to do something they've never done before. Not sure about the laser intensity unless maybe this is a lighter wood and it's reflecting more?

Steve