Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Tags are now required for all content items in our community. We appreciate your participation and patience as we work through this new requirement for topics, gallery images, blogs, and more. This is an exciting resource for all our members to use, with one click on a tag, you can see articles, topics and all our content that is similarly tagged the same. Please read Tagging Your Content for instructions on how to use our tagging system.

Dane Franco

Lew inspired me

Rate this topic

beautiful..

WOW! Those are absolutely gorgeous!  I really like the non-symmetrical wood layout. I think it really adds to the beauty of the pieces.

Where did you get the runner feet?

Hey thanks Lew, I bought them from home depot. I think they are bumpers for doors/door knobs. You can buy ones for cutting boards from wood craft I think, but the HD ones were like $1/bumper, plus the stainless screws it comes with is better for water IMO. 

Lew's glue up was more or less edge to edge where yours is an edge to end glue up an you might end up  with a small problem???

2 hours ago, Dane Franco said:

buuuuuuuut, it ended up al right.

Boy, I'll say Dane! I'd say you were quite inspired!

Too beautiful for cheese.:P

Man, that's a really nice cheese slicer, Dane.

And, Lew. That's the fanciest peel I ever did see.

Personally, I can't see why you say the glue-up sucks, it's usually only the maker of the item, that see's any mistakes made.

Myself I think it looks great, even if you didn't do any turning lol.

30 minutes ago, Smallpatch said:

Nothing is wrong with yours, Lew. Its the end grain to long grain that might show later because of the expansion of the wood.

Yeah time will tell for sure. I haven’t had any separation from other pieces with inlays that are about 8 years old, but of course  all wood is different, just hope for the best as always. 

36 minutes ago, Smallpatch said:

show later because of the expansion of the wood.

I think with the thinner boards- less that an inch thick- the movement will be quite small. Plus, there is lots of surface area for bonding.

I never said the glue up sucks. I said he could have problems because gluing end grain against long grain can give problems because of the swelling of woods in different seasons. Thats why when you see a farm type table with planks glued up side by side then they add a board crossways on each end there is always a channel between the two different directions of wood so when one wood shifts more than than the other, it won't be noticeable...I didn't invent something that don't happen. Wood is wood.

Beautiful work! I love it.

8 hours ago, Charles Nicholls said:

Personally, I can't see why you say the glue-up sucks, it's usually only the maker of the item, that see's any mistakes made.

Myself I think it looks great, even if you didn't do any turning lol.

Sorry, I meant the process sucks. I’m cool with how it turned out-and totally agree with you. Most mistakes are only noticed by the maker. That’s woodworking yo :)