Lew inspired me

Dane Franco

30 minutes ago, Smallpatch said:

Nothing is wrong with yours, Lew. Its the end grain to long grain that might show later because of the expansion of the wood.

Yeah time will tell for sure. I haven’t had any separation from other pieces with inlays that are about 8 years old, but of course  all wood is different, just hope for the best as always. 

I never said the glue up sucks. I said he could have problems because gluing end grain against long grain can give problems because of the swelling of woods in different seasons. Thats why when you see a farm type table with planks glued up side by side then they add a board crossways on each end there is always a channel between the two different directions of wood so when one wood shifts more than than the other, it won't be noticeable...I didn't invent something that don't happen. Wood is wood.

8 hours ago, Charles Nicholls said:

Personally, I can't see why you say the glue-up sucks, it's usually only the maker of the item, that see's any mistakes made.

Myself I think it looks great, even if you didn't do any turning lol.

Sorry, I meant the process sucks. I’m cool with how it turned out-and totally agree with you. Most mistakes are only noticed by the maker. That’s woodworking yo :)