Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Tags are now required for all content items in our community. We appreciate your participation and patience as we work through this new requirement for topics, gallery images, blogs, and more. This is an exciting resource for all our members to use, with one click on a tag, you can see articles, topics and all our content that is similarly tagged the same. Please read Tagging Your Content for instructions on how to use our tagging system.

Rate this topic

Wow, that is really nice.

big-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

Very nice! It can really play tricks with my eyes.

Very cool Pat. Great contrast of colors and design.

Thank you guys appreciate the props, I have to ask for a better way to make the diamond shaped pieces?? I did them on the miter saw and they came out pretty well but got chipping from the unsecured little piece vibrating around because it gets trapped inside the 45 degree stop. I have another project like this I'd like to make and hope there is a better way. 

2 hours ago, Pat Meeuwissen said:

I did them on the miter saw and they came out pretty well but got chipping from the unsecured little piece vibrating

Make a "0" clearance insert for your miter saw if you haven' already...a temporary quick version to cover the saw slot with a couple layers of wide masking tape...may help.

Edited by Grandpadave52

Very nice.   If/when I ever run out of things to do, my wife and I will do some quilt patterns like this, in wood.

37 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Make a "0" clearance insert for your miter saw if you haven' already...a temporary quick version to cover the saw slot with a couple layers of wide masking tape...may help.

Dave this is my set up now, but see how the piece gets trapped? From the vacuum ,air from the sawblade ... it seems to move just a little and causes the chipping.

45 setup.jpg

On 2/20/2018 at 11:39 AM, Smallpatch said:

Good design. Did you get dizzy fitting all those pieces together??? Nice work!!

Been dizzy for a really long time now. I used some drawn guidelines and stayed as close to them as I could.

15 minutes ago, Pat Meeuwissen said:

Dave this is my set up now, but see how the piece gets trapped? From the vacuum ,air from the sawblade ... it seems to move just a little and causes the chipping.

Thanks Pat...appreciate you taking time to post the picture...makes more sense to me now...I'm very visual...

Would it help to cut a small relief (angle/dado) at the bottom of the stop block where it intersects the table and/or perhaps on the back side of the stop? That might relieve or alter the blade air turbulence and/or provide for escape of small dust build-up. Just a thought??

Edited by Grandpadave52

GOT TO THROW THIS IN. I BUILT A V SHAPED SAW DUST CATCHER UNDER TS . CAULKED EVERY CRACK/OPENING AROUND THE V SHAPE & TS, SO THE FIVE HOSS VACUUM SUCKS EVERYTHING FROM & DOWN BY BLADE.

VACUUM  HOSE IS ATTACHED TO BOTTOM OF THAT V  DUST CATCHER.

V CATCHER GOES DOWN WITH IN COUPLE INCHES OF FLOOR.

5 HOSS VACUUM LOCATED UNDER OUT FEED TABLE FOR TS.

btw, I MADE THE PART OF CATCHER WIDE AT TOP FOR TILTING BLADE. SO SAW DUST GOING SIDEWAYS IS CAUGHT. Cya

Can you cut it the opposite  way of the 45 deg., Is this a chop saw or a SMS?

Maybe make your jig with a top to hold the piece from moving. It will be slower but maybe better results.

Herb

25 minutes ago, Cal said:

Are you letting the blade stop before letting it back up?

Yeah, that would do too. It would be a lot slower then chop,chop,chop, but would lessen the chance of tear out. This is the one reason I shy away from chop saws, on short cuts I prefer a table saw. I have a sliding miter saw,but rarely use it in the shop. It is great for job site, though.

Herb

8 hours ago, Dadio said:

Yeah, that would do too. It would be a lot slower then chop,chop,chop, but would lessen the chance of tear out. This is the one reason I shy away from chop saws, on short cuts I prefer a table saw. I have a sliding miter saw,but rarely use it in the shop. It is great for job site, though.

Herb

Herb, could you show me the set up you would use on the table saw to cut diamond shapes?