I have a couple of working Sargents, including one VBM , and they do every bit as well as the others. I have one Dunlop and it is also a good plane. I think your theory makes sense evne though I'm not familiar with the Buck Brothers planes. I do have a Craftsman (given to me new back in the 70's by my kids for Christmas...my first hand plane) and I can't get it to shave wood at all. It digs in no matter what I do to tune it.

Buck Brothers is a very old company that also makes turning gouges. This one is fairly cheap, but it shaves wood. Do happen to have the blade flipped over? Do you have a plane that the blade is sort of rounded; if not, you might do that to your blade, and use it to flatten boards as a first pass prior to smoothing with another plane.

8 hours ago, oldwoodie said:

Sargent hand plane that was clean, sharp and ready to go for $10.00. How bad did I do?

If it was already cleaned, sharp and ready to put to use, you did GOOD! Around here (West Central Indiana), most flea markets have that much or more on a rust bucket plane. I've had better luck at yard & garage sales but still always require some cleaning and the blade sharpened.

8 hours ago, oldwoodie said:

What do you say about my theory?

If you're happy with the results of the lesser known and they do the job to YOUR satisfaction, then I'd say do it. Keep in mind you have the old Baileys now...replacing them down the road and getting them tuned might be more expensive and require more work than it did with your current stable. On the other hand if you enjoy rescuing and refurbishing old planes (or other tools), then selling off some/all of the current stable helps finance the habit, 'er passion.:P

Bottom line Woodie; do what you enjoy...that's what is important...my $0.02 input. Hopefully other, smarter and talented people will chime in with their thoughts too.

2 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

I do have a Craftsman (given to me new back in the 70's by my kids for Christmas...my first hand plane) and I can't get it to shave wood at all. It digs in no matter what I do to tune it.

Take it over to Newman's house.  If he can't fix it......nobody can. 

3 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

I can't get it to shave wood at all. It digs in no matter what I do to tune it.

I've got one like that, but it's a cheap Canadian Tire version. The sole is dished around the blade, so that it has to protrude about 3/16" before it even touches the wood!

John

Dunlap were made by Sargent.   Craftsman was made, depending on who won that years contract, by either  Stanley, Millers Falls, or Sargent.

IF the plane was made by "Worth", or PEXTO....run, do not walk, away....

I had one of the newer Buck Brothers planes ( Home Depot variety)  and was not impressed,   Same as with the "Kobalt" Lowes sells...meh.

Have a Beltsander?    Load a 100 grit belt on it.    Black sharpie pen to mark a lot of lines across the sole of that Caftsman plane....sand until no lines remain.  Keep rotating the assembled plane while on the spinning belt.   Make sure the iron is back as far as the wheel will take it.   You are sanding the sole, NOT the cutter.    Have a good straightedge handy, to check  on things.

On 2/16/2018 at 5:01 AM, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

my first hand plane) and I can't get it to shave wood at all. It digs in no matter what I do to tune it.

flatten the sole...

mark it up w/ a felt tip..

stroke it a few times on some fine w/d paper...

sees where the felt tip is and isn't...

that'll tell ya how flat the sole is...

keep going til all of the felt tip marks are gone..

if it's really bad start the process out w/ med w/d paper and work your way to very fine...

also change the bevel by a couple of degrees.. one way then the other...

back bevel too...

5 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

That's un-American,:blush: er un-Canadian:P I mean we've even got a Tim Horton's now about an hour away in Indianapolis and a second location in the works.

They sell Chains, don't know about sanding belts.
Herb

Tim Hortons

timhortons.com

Tim Hortons Inc. is a Canadian-based multinational fast food restaurant known for its coffee and donuts. It is also Canada's largest quick service restaurant chain; as of December 31, 2016, it had a total of 4,613 restaurants in nine countries

I had to search, turns out we are both right. Wendy's had bought Tim Horton, and then spun it off as it's own company after some time. Then Burger king (2014) bought it out. After Steven mentioned Wendy's, I remembered the same thing...so it sent me searching.

Edited by Fred W. Hargis Jr

1 minute ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

I had to search, turns out we are both right. Wendy's had bought Tim Horton, and then spun it off as it's own company after some time. Then Burger king (2014) bought it out. After Steven mentioned Wendy's, I remembered the same thing...so it sent me searching.

now I know I won't go near one...