Grandpadave52

2 hours ago, It Was Al B said:

Dave, That Craftsman square should clean up nicely, and should be quite accurate ;)

I think it will clean up pretty well Al. Edges are all square and not beat up...someone just didn't keep moisture away. It's not a Starrett, but for a Craftsman of that era very well made.

1 hour ago, Larry Jenkins said:

Besides a fine power wire wheel, what do you use to make 'em shiny again?

Larry, I've tried several approaches and still trying to figure the best method. For extremely rusty ones, I have used a 6" brass wheel on my bench grinder. What I've learned is it often lightly rounds over the square edges....for some not such a big deal; others I'd prefer to keep it as pristine as possible but restore the scale. I've also used both steel and brass rotary brushes in my Dremels to get the worst scale off then used Course, Medium, Fine rust "erasers" similar to those in this picture.

Again you have to be careful to prevent a slight round over of the edges. I've also used steel wool and kerosene, wet or dry emery and sandpaper with WD-40 and/or 3-n-1 oil.Also just soaking in a pan of white vinegar.

Last summer I picked up a gallon of Evap-O-Rust to try on some other projects. I had a combo square I'd picked up that was really rusty so threw it in a container to see what would happen. It cleaned every bit of rust (obviously leaving some pitting), but the scale shined like it had been polished. The down side it left sort of a "fish eye" for lack of better description finish on the scale. Even going back and sanding with a fine Rust Eraser, I could not remove it, but at least took some of the sheen off. I'd experienced the same effect on some steel items, yet not others so the jury is still out on when/where to use that product. Love it though for plane bodies and knives.

I'll try to post a different thread this weekend for the others I've "rescued." For larger squares essentially the same approaches. I have an old framing square I think I'll try the Evap-O-Rust on this year; soak some rags in it, wrap around the body, then wrap with plastic wrap. I have a set of cast iron table saw wings I may try the same approach on.

Mine are the same type, but Craftsman labeled. I bought several of each years and years ago at a Big Lots store.  I don't think Sears-Craftsman carries them any more or much else for that matter.

image.png.639c6fbf6c905dbcbc040897bbeb0063.png  image.png.fab13bdba844f00b18edb06de23b8833.png

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, oldwoodie said:

Have you tried electrolysis to get the rust off?

No...considered it, but just too lazy to deal with the mess of the liquid, making the anode rod(s), leaving a small battery charger hooked up, etc.. My battery charger is a commercial model and not suited for anything like that.

Honestly, the results from plain white vinegar usually work well. The Evap-O-Rust fully removes all traces of rust and if you just wipe off the solution versus rinse off, a protective film (invisible) remains on the item which will prevents any flash rust from developing for 2-3 weeks.

Larry, Sorry it took so long to respond. Don't know how I missed it. It takes a little time, but I've found that a 600- 800 grit wet sanding paper with a little oil lube works. 

Niagara : Still a long way's to go, but I'll try to take time to post a photo soon.

2 hours ago, It Was Al B said:

with a little oil lube works

1:1 ATF and Acetone

50% acetone 50% ATF and a 3M scrubby to get rid of the rust...
clean w/ turps or similar..

For a large flat want to be smooth surfaces a rubbing brick and the ATF mix will quickly remove/speed up really heavy rust...
then go here...
cutting fluid and a rubbing stone to lessen or remove the pits...
finish w/ progressively finer grits of wet/dry till you have achieved happiness...
CIRCULAR MOTIONS ONLY PLEASE

Cutting fluid and the ratios are...
1 qt. of motor oil to 3 cups of dish washing liquid to 4 gallons of water....
Add the liquid soap to the water. Mix the soap into the water so that it is dissolved. The soap is the catalyst that will enable the oil and the water to mix; otherwise the different densities will make the oil float on top of the water.

small batch ratios...
1oz motor oil...
1.5oz dish soap...
32oz water...

divide by two if want a still smaller batch...

the rubbing stone(s)/bricks...
http://www.toolfetch.com/constructio....html?limit=48