Good Monday Morning Patriot Woodworkers! February 12th, 2018

John Morris

3 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

For a specific model? Did you order on-line or ????

Mind sharing your source? Thanks in advance.

I have been using MTO. You can get loose batteries, pre built pack (just add connectors and resistors), or they will rebuild. https://www.mtobattery.com/store/

Think I ordered Thursday and got it in the mail today,. Looks just like the old batteries but different markings.

After a brief absence, Monday found the "bug whisperer" back in the shop for a bit of woodworking.

I had been out of town since mid-January and had left a pair of glue-ups in clamps.  Realizing that I needed a few more boards for the project,  I h I spent most of yesterday milling a few more SYP boards.  I hate what the SYP does to my M&E, but I have it so I am going to use it.

The "bug" part?  I have noticed (kinda hard not to) that when the cicadas are out, if I use my circular saw I get bombarded by cicadas.  It takes a steady hand and nerves of steel to cut through a length of plywood with cicadas landing on your sheetgoods, banging you in the head and otherwise making a nuisance of themselves...  

Yesterday, February 12th was a warm (upper 60's) overcast and humid day.  I spent most all day working a few boards.  When I finished, grabbed a cup of coffee and sat down at the garage door I immediately noticed beetles.  Many, many beetles.  Short, slim, black beetles.  On the garage floor, on the outside wall, on my coveralls - you get the idea.  I started dancing around squashing them and beginning a slow sort of freak out thinking they could be powder post beetles.  The lumber I was working did have some damage from ppb's.   I have never actually seen a ppb - but it did not stop me from thinking "what if" these are, in fact, ppb's!  I searched out my entomology book and satisfied myself that they were not ppb's - but it did not identify them for positive.  So last night on the computer I did some additional research and determined that it was southern pine beetles.  So, I am more "at ease" after that determination.  I theorize that the warm day had them moving around; and the scent of SYP being worked in my shop drawed them in for an easy dinner...

th-2.jpeg

Cal, not many wood eating bugs around here. Not much to chew on. But, I get mesquite from southern AZ. There's a bug that bores into mesquite and lays eggs. The larvae is about an inch and a half long. Many times, I've cut or planed through a few. Messy. A couple times, they were near the adult stage, with wings. Huge buggers. Kinda scary when one flies out at you ahead of the saw blade. Breaks your concentration, fer sure. 

You mentioned that SYP messes with your "M&E". What is "M&E?

@Gene Howe M&E = machinery & equipment

And, going back to @John Morris original post and the Stradivarius.  And to veer way off topic...

In the car show circuit there is a class of vehicles called "rat rods".  An old car or truck chassis is the starting point, and from there they add on anything.  Different car/truck parts, tractor parts, leave it rusty (looking anyhow).  Maybe you have seen them.  The other day I was watching a show on MTV live.  A band called Seasick Steve comes on and the guy is playing a "banjo" type instrument that was made from an old auto air cleaner!  From his website, he has another guitar/banjo type of instrument made from a wash board...  I likened that to a rat rod in the music world.

Pretty good tune he played.

Now, back to your regular programing...

th-3.jpeg

Edited by Cal

Thanks, Cal for the explanation. Believe it or not but, I've never worked with pine. And, I don't think SYP is readily available here. I've been asked to make some engraved gift boxes from pine. The only place close to find it is Lowes and HD. But, it's not clear. Lots of waste cutting around the knots. And, that stuff ain't cheap. Might resort to poplar.

headed down to the shop shortly to finish up building 3 clay target holders.  to be used for pistol matches, features a base that fits onto existing target stand sticks that are placed on a normal target stand, and holds the clay target by 2 notched sticks about 4" above the structure, so the chance of the structure getting shot are greatly reduced.  the sticks are easily replaced if they get shot up.  took about 2 hours to figure out a prototype, and another hour or so to make 3 copies.

pics later, maybe.... :)

materials are 1/4" plywood and 2x2s and 1x2s, all common stuff.

29 minutes ago, DAB said:

headed down to the shop shortly to finish up building 3 clay target holders.  to be used for pistol matches, features a base that fits onto existing target stand sticks that are placed on a normal target stand, and holds the clay target by 2 notched sticks about 4" above the structure, so the chance of the structure getting shot are greatly reduced.  the sticks are easily replaced if they get shot up.  took about 2 hours to figure out a prototype, and another hour or so to make 3 copies.

pics later, maybe.... :)

materials are 1/4" plywood and 2x2s and 1x2s, all common stuff.

Can you show a picture of that,DAB? I bet I could hit the sticks,unless they are dead center of the clay.

Herb

16 hours ago, steven newman said:

Ummmm, Monday?    Leaving a wake-up call request for Tuesday..

Two wire baskets have shown up at the house...NOW I get do a little measuring  for a cut list...

Whew for a minute I thought that a couple of homeless moved in.

Herb

Edited by Dadio

3 hours ago, Cal said:

and satisfied myself that they were not ppb's - but it did not identify them for positive.  So last night on the computer I did some additional research and determined that it was southern pine beetles.  So, I am more "at ease" after that determination.  I theorize that the warm day had them moving around; and the scent of SYP being worked in my shop drawed them in for an easy dinner...

th-2.jpeg

Don't think the SPB attacks dead wood , only live trees. Also I am told they are attracted to trees in a disease or troubled state as the tree emits some signal. You must have been in the migratory path as when they attack a tree they start all from the same direction or side of the tree.

Baskets...

5a832617475b0_Baskets1.jpg.ac771a10a4ea160835305f7a584eb9f0.jpg

I think she will need something a little bigger..

5a83264e29fc3_Baskets2.jpg.9b70ecb4592bc76fde143c59bc59af55.jpg

Case is 16" deep....baskets are only 11" along the "long" side....

At least I haven't bought any lumber...yet. These with fit IN the drawer...yet she wants no drawers in the bottom case?   Could add a fourth shelf? 

Need to call her back up here.... need a better plan, or different baskets...

7 hours ago, Gerald said:

Don't think the SPB attacks dead wood , only live trees. Also I am told they are attracted to trees in a disease or troubled state as the tree emits some signal. You must have been in the migratory path as when they attack a tree they start all from the same direction or side of the tree.

I for sure did not know all that stuff Gerald - except for the live tree/dead wood part.

The lumber I am using has been through the kiln twice - and it is still juicy... more like fat lighter than lumber!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:54 AM, PostalTom said:

I'll post some pictures when I get it all done.

As promised, here are the pictures, if I can get the pics and text to line up right.

This is the area I am trying to shield to make clean up easier.

5a94b6fe732fc_Lathemess1.jpg.3a60ddaf587122c1f386f976f637f3e8.jpg

This is the trough I built.  I had to make it in two assemblies because I couldn't swing the end up into place.  Kind of like building a boat in a bottle.

5a94b775a762b_Lathemess3.jpg.1f61f58aeb88a9d4c5a7d78c4b944108.jpg

This is the trough in position, with the curtain in place.

5a94b7fc719c4_lathemess4.jpg.e1a410ca38be7a7f6797544ae8e1a44d.jpg

The dust collector port on the bottom of the trough...

5a94b89be5460_Lathemess5.jpg.9ee34458cb0dd333646db8793f2eb360.jpg

...and where it comes out and into my dust collector.  Look close, and you can see the other hose coming from  my router table.

5a94b92ad8910_Lathemess6.jpg.fbe2886edce040bbf411b073422b157b.jpg

This is what everything looked like after doing some lathe work.  This pic was supposed to show the mess on the floor that didn't wind up on the shelf, but I missed showing the floor.  Trust me, there was a mess on the floor.

5a94ba3ef045b_Lathemess7.jpg.53ddbea3d5c577895696300879ce82e0.jpg

What the back looked like, without a curtain on that side of the lathe.  Since the "proof of concept"  looked good to me, putting a curtain on the back is the next step.

5a94bab9219f4_Lathemess9.jpg.13d05d1f478c9c967d9a0c15634f8c6e.jpg

Final result, after much less clean up than I would normally have had to do.  I think it will work for me.

5a94bb543e7e4_Lathemess8.jpg.9f7bf48e0b9e490ef086448edd5bf6ec.jpg